VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so about a month ago I bought my daughter an 06 New Beetle and everything was running great. Well on Christmas Eve the battery light came on and it dies. Got it started and took it to a local (non VW) shop and they said it appears to be the alternator. Ok so here I go changing the alternator, got it all changed and still only getting 11.5 or less at the battery. Ok so we thought bad alternator and replaced it well still getting the same. Basically it's not charging and the battery and alternator are new and both have been load tested. Now I am new to VWs so I am stuck now with a new battery and alternator and it still won't charge....anyone have any advice?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm...will have to check that out, but don't think it is the ground since we ran a another ground to test it. However at this point I will check anything that anyone say. Thank you for any and all advice.

·
Super Moderator
14,840 Posts
Altenator wire from the fuse block to the altenator? This was my issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So took the bug to VW today and they are saying that it is still the alternator. I guess you have to put genuine VW alternators in these things. And of course they have to be crazy expensive.

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
It's not that you HAVE to use a factory brand new/factory rebuilt alternator. It's the fact that a lot of the aftermarket rebuilds on the market suck.

(call it like I see it)

That being said? All kinds of possible issues other then the alternator-- Bad grounds and wiring issues. At least if the sealership replaces it, and it fails to correct the issue? They will be the ones on the hook to figure things out.

S-

·
Diesel Freak
596 Posts
I guarantee its the alternator... get an OEM Bosch from an online retailer and call it a day.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll go out on a limb and recommend RockAuto dot com.

First class auto parts house and it's saved me frankly hundreds of dollars.

S-
You are the 3rd person to recommend RockAuto.com so I will definitely be checking them out next time. The dealer charged me $600 for the alternator and $600 for labor. I would have saved the $600 by doing it myself but the dealership is 90 miles away and I really did not feel like towing the car back home in this crappy icy weather we had. Anyway thanks for the advice and suggestions.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,453 Posts
GermanAutoParts.com, rockauto.com, ecstuning.com, 1stvwparts.com...lots of great parts sites for VWs. I usually check them all and compare prices and shipping. Some sites are better for certain parts than others.

·
Diesel Freak
596 Posts
You are the 3rd person to recommend RockAuto.com so I will definitely be checking them out next time. The dealer charged me $600 for the alternator and $600 for labor. I would have saved the $600 by doing it myself but the dealership is 90 miles away and I really did not feel like towing the car back home in this crappy icy weather we had. Anyway thanks for the advice and suggestions.
WOAH WOAH!!! This is the first we are hearing about a 600 dollar alternator at the stealership. I wish there was a banner on the front page of this website that said HI WELCOME TO .ORG! FIRST THINGS FIRST, DONT TAKE YOUR CAR TO A DEALER.
just makes me sick to my stomach. :(

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
$1200 for parts/labor for an alternator..Ridiculous! Please tell me they did something else?
Yes, it is called financial rape!

And yes it happened at a stealership.

·
Registered
105 Posts
OMG, $600 for an alternator at dealership...

I don't want to make you frustrated but want people viewing the post in the future to know the prices stamped at 1/13/2014:

MSRP prices for 70 Amp, 90 Amp, 120 Amp:
$652, $420, $470

Online prices for 70 Amp, 90 Amp, 120 Amp:
$530, $341, $382

Bosch alternators sold directly by Bosch at Amazon:
$188 (90 Amp), $236 (120 Amp), $349 (120 Amp)

(All for 2001 Beetle 2.0L)

BTW, I really like Bosch because they sell their products on Amazon WAY cheaper than anywhere else!

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
We're planning on a trip over to Pick 'n Pull again hopefully this weekend (they just got a beetle in stock). At that price? I'll see if I can nab the alternator out of the car as a backup.

Holy Bat Crap! Is the only expression I have when the stealership can get away with charging $1200 for an alternator job. I would hope that includes a very nice Dinner and a Show/Movie first...

Even a brand new Alternator from Napa? Runs $234--no core charge.

RockAuto does have the rebuilt ones from $140 to $370 for Valeo branded. (never heard of them?) The only brands I did see that I would trust? Remy and Beck/Arnley--and that's only because I do not see Bosch listed.

S-

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would stick with Bosch or one for Germanautoparts.com

If you put and Autozone unit built in China it will be cheap and may work well.
I would not do it. To hard to change out.
Stealerships have to pay the mechanic, inventory, rent, and overhead. Plus lawyers to fight pissed off customers. 1200 for an alternater change seems high.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.