NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this is the right place for my questions, if not I apologize.
Hey everybody, just joined the forum and need your expertise.
I just looked at a 2002 Beetle Turbo S with 60,000 miles. The body was in fair condition and the engine seemed strong, but...
1) The "ride" was rough. When I hit a pothole or manhole (1" - 1/12" deep) a shock wave went through the car and things were rattling.
I had a Super Beetle many years ago and when I hit a bump all you felt was the bump, the Super Beetle seemed unified.
2) A blue temperature light came on when the car was first started, but it eventual went out. The guy selling it said it because the car wasn’t up to temperature yet.
3) At 15mph and up, the car had a growling noise...the guy said it was the tires. I think they were Michelin ice-x tires.
4) When getting into the car you had pull the door handle really HARD to get the latch to engage. I'm not going to buy this car, but I need more knowledge for the next one I look at.
Thanks for your help

·
Jude's Momma
26 Posts
Hey! Im no mechanic - and Im learning - Im a New NB owner ... my temp light did the same thing -- SUPPOSEDLY was the temp sensor...I had it replaced. Mine would blink red ... now every blue moon it comes on blue when I start it - and goes off ---- HOWEVER, I do believe I have a leak in my car somewhere ... I mean there's pro's and con's but I do love my beetle. It has 125k and has brought me from SoFL to N.Ga 2 times already ... so I hope i helped a little on one issue.

Gooluck!

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
The blue temp light is working as it should. It is there to remind you not to stomp on it...just yet.

The Turbo S has a stiffer suspension than a non TS New Beetle. And, I have Blizzak (sp?) tires on my car, and I get no growling. But, your growling just may be tires.

The things you mention - all seem minor to me. The TS you are looking at has low miles, 6-speed, 180hp Turbo, heated two-tone sport seats, and is so much fun, it should be illegal!

Please don't overlook this car. You will love it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help, I will keep my eye on this car. I have one more to look at...with less miles, but much more money. I'll take your feedback with me when I compare these two cars.
Thanks again

·
USS ANNIEPRISE NCC 1701 A
4,142 Posts
Thanks for the help, I will keep my eye on this car. I have one more to look at...with less miles, but much more money. I'll take your feedback with me when I compare these two cars.
Thanks again
Good luck to you! There are 1999 New Beetles out there that run great. I bought mine 3 years ago with close to 100k on the clock, and he has been very good to me. :D:)

·
squirreljuice
388 Posts
For your tires, check to see if they have ice spikes. If so, thats whats causing the growling noise. And that temp light is working perfectly. The turbo S and the Sport models both have much stiffer suspension, and thats why you feel it more. And is the door latch on the inside or the outside? Because my outer passenger door is really stiff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts