VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Gonzo
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just completed on My 2003 Volkswagen Turbo s Awp engine replacing timing belt water pump . When I started I noticed the oil light comes on . I’ve a mis fire on cylinder 2 which I hope goes away when I replace the coil wires and plugs . This my first experience taking on such an enormous task. I feel that I’m really close to having it running the way it did before that dreadfull moment when it failed the emmissions test. Do to lack of money and taking it to my trusted mechanic that was going to charge me $ 275 to replace the MAF sensor . I had done that myself for 40 bucks . I knew then to get my car the hell out there. So Here I am New timing belt water pump.. now I’ve got the misfires and the oil light. I’ve been reading articles all over this site do I just clean the pick up tube .? Do I have to do the whole motor mounts thing is there an easier way snd can something hi else be the reason why my oil liglht is on . This is. My first post way out of my comfort zone so please go easy on me. 196.000
Miles 03 turbo s awp 1.8t made in Mexico hence its name. Go go gonzolas

·
5/23/10 <3
11,684 Posts
What do you mean by the "motor mounts thing"? Have you scanned for any codes? I would get an oil pressure gauge on the car to see if the pressure is actually low or not.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Changing the MAF is easy. However $40 means you put a junk chinese part in there, instead of a genuine Bosch sensor, so that won’t help with it running correctly.

A bad oil pressure sensor can be the culprit, again fairly easy to change, only use an oem sensor. As smiley said get a mechanical oil pressure gauge on it to actually determine if the pressure is really low or it’s just the sensor.

I’m curious about the “motor mount thing” also, please explain.

·
Gonzo
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Changing the MAF is easy. However $40 means you put a junk chinese part in there, instead of a genuine Bosch sensor, so that won’t help with it running correctly.

A bad oil pressure sensor can be the culprit, again fairly easy to change, only use an oem sensor. As smiley said get a mechanical oil pressure gauge on it to actually determine if the pressure is really low or it’s just the sensor.

I’m curious about the “motor mount thing” also, please explain.
Thanks for the great tips I will apply this weekend to see what oil pressure is at. What I was talking about with the motor mounts is do I have to remove the motor mounts to access fill tube in the oil pan I just got it all back together . Of if I have will but is there a way to avoid that. Again thanks for your guidance.
Rob

·
Gonzo
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I’ve got a basic code reader and it’s reading P0302 I getting a new coil wire harness from ECS I’m hoping to follow there instructions splicing it in to the existing . The old harness is cracked and frayed in spots so that cant is a necessary replacement. You may be thinking this guy is all over place . That’s because i am. From coil wire harness to oil pressure To the MAF maybe a fuel injector or camshaft sensor . In what order do I attack these possibilities . Can’t forget the potential bad spark plug, I’m glad I reached out .
Thank you

·
Gonzo
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The most serious is the oil light, if in fact you do have low oil pressure and not just a flaky sensor, the low pressure can ruin your engine. I would address that first.
I think it’s awesome that you passed that information my way so I’m guessing a get an oil pressure gauge at my local parts store. Where do place the gauge itself do I take out the dip stick and place it there ? Will there be instructions and what should pressure be . When i start it ,the motor idles so rough that I’m afraid I’m damaging something else. How much should expect to pay for the gauge .? Thanks again

·
Registered
18,565 Posts
First of all, I would get access to a VW factory service manual; I'm assuming, by your questions, you don't have one?

Here is a online version:

Here is a downloadable version:

·
Registered
18,565 Posts
specs:

testing:

·
Registered
18,565 Posts
Once you get a oil pressure test kit; you typically, need a adapter, to get the threads to work with the hose.

When I tested the oil pressure; the oil pressure tester didn't have the right adapter to connect to the oil pressure port (where the original sending unit is), so I got this kit from autozone (special order).

sunpro metric adapter kit part #: cp7573 (it comes with a number of adapters; the one for the 1.8T is: M10 X 1.0 to 1/8" NPT,)

So, if you can find a adapter with the same size, thread specs; it would connect correctly to the oil pressure port on the 1.8T block.

·
Registered
18,565 Posts
Also, do you have a scan tool and have you scanned for trouble codes?

NOTE: There are other issues, that are electrical in nature and with the cooling temp sensor, that can make the oil pressure light turn on, giving you a false positive. This happened to me, I tested the oil pressure; it passed and was in spec. Scanned for codes, got a coolant temp sensor, "short to ground" code and found, the wires to the plug, for the cts, had broken terminals going to it. Replaced, the cts sensor, plug housing and terminal wires, problem went away, stayed away! That was my issue BUT i confirmed the problem, by testing the oil pressure, I was in spec, passed with flying colors... then, knowing my engine was safe, focused on other possible issues, causing the oil pressure light to come on.

·
Gonzo
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds good . I do have a basic code reader. I have a chiltons repaiir Manual but I’m going to download the one you recommended . I also ordered the oil pressure test kit and the adapter kit . While I’m waiting for that. I received my new coil wire harness kit. it still had the original one and I’m surprised it actually ran the wires were so beat up. .so I’m going to apply the things you shared with me and see where I end up . Hoping to be driving it soon seeing it parked in my driveway is so painful .Thanks s a again for the detailed notes

1 - 13 of 13 Posts