NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 beetle convertible and the headlights are not working. I have high beams but no low beams. I checked the bulbs and they appear to be in tact and I checked the fuse panel and no blown fuses. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
WAFLIER

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Did you remove the headlights to check the bulbs? You can't see the low beam bulb without removing the headlight. Try swapping a low beam and high beam bulb since the high beams are known good. The bulbs are the same type.

·
Registered
14,061 Posts
H/l beams are coming up as part number H1. If you need to get some new ones! :)

https://www.sylvania.com/en-us/appl...bulbs.aspx?year=2005&qual=7&model=384&make=95

I noticed a lot of times the bulbs looked okay; that is not always the case, that's why I sometimes test them with a voltmeter for continuity. As noted above swap them out and see if it makes a difference with another known good bulb. If you put the low beam bulbs in the high sockets; that would confirm whether they are good or not.
If that doesn't work; then I would get a volt test light and see if you are getting power to the socket. If no power; then see what is on that circuit; fuses, relays etc.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Common problem with these cars, the Daytime Running Lights are the low beams and they are not dimmed very much, the low beam bulbs seem to last maybe 2-3 years depending on how much the car is driven. Many convertibles are garage queens and not daily drivers so they may last longer.

1 bulbs goes, you do not realize it, you drive until bulb #2 blows, then you have no low beams.

My money is on the low beam bulbs are burns out. Also the high beam bulbs you can see through the lens, the low beams are in the projectors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts