VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!! I'm in the market for a New Beetle, and I can't decide whether I want a convertible or a hatchback.

I'd love to hear what your thoughts are!

Thank you so much,

Kate

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your responses! This is going to be my only car and I'm moving South for graduate school.

Also.. is either of them more reliable?

Thank you ^_^

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
This one's easy, sit down and make a list of the pros and cons of each.

Can't really consider the maintenance and upkeep (cleaning and conditioning), because it's really, not any different than washing and waxing the body.

Today's convertible tops are nearly as airtight, quite, and as insulated as a hardtop, so those shouldn't be considerations.

There may be costs involved, however in the servicing. Moving parts do breakdown, wear out and need servicing.

The big difference is the initial cost; just like a turbo or not, a Turbo S or a turbo. Hardtop or convertible boils down to money, in my mind, so if you're on a tight budget...

But the real issue is, you're either a convertible person or you're not. And you either are or you aren't and only you can answer that. If you've never driven one, rent one for a nice weekend, and drive. My first car, many years ago was a convertible, and I currently own three, out of my five vehicles in a two person family.

MORAV

·
Registered
196 Posts
I love my sunroof for Nevada, it gets too hot for a vert most of the year (high 80's today!) But in the UK where our hot days are few and far between but we have nice dry days where heated seats and warm air make up for the cool outside temp I'd love a vert :)

Kate

·
Oh spoot!
146 Posts
Hi everyone!! I'm in the market for a New Beetle, and I can't decide whether I want a convertible or a hatchback.

I'd love to hear what your thoughts are!

Thank you so much,

Kate
I have the hatchback and my dream car is the convertible. I love the convertible! but ofcourse I love my car!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Kate,

Welcome to the org! I have had many verts in the past and I will sau that the New Beetle does it well. When you put the top down the feeling is exhilirating!!!! It is so freeing! I love my convertible. When you say moving South, where do you mean?:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey guys, thank you so much for your responses. I've been trying to think about pros and cons for each, and right now I'm leaning more towards the hatchback... but we'll see.

For those of you that have kids -- can you fit a baby seat in the back, or is the back seat mostly for show? (I'm 5'10'')

Thank you sooo much!!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Holly is 2 & her all in one fits fine behind my husband who's 6'3! With a rear facing you might be better finding a car where you can turn the passenger airbag off & put it there.

Kate

1 - 11 of 11 Posts