NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seen this article about the 2013 tdi today. I have to say that I wish they stood on their own merit now I stead of constantly being compared to the air cooled version. Compare to the new beetle, but they have nothing in common with the original anymore really.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,068 Posts
I get sick of most reviews of the Beetle; most of them are just "a new non girly car, more masculine, blah, blah, blah" and that seems to be about it; very little in the way of good evaluations of the cars. As you mentioned; they trash the Beetle because it isn't a economy car of the past; frankly, I think the old "beetle" concept (inexpensive transpo); is really served by the Volkswagen "up" or "polo" which, unfortunately are not sold here in the USA.

Volkswagen UP!:

up!

Volkswagen Polo:

The VW Polo / S / Match - Official Site : Volkswagen UK

I think; there seems to be a bias against Volkswagens to a degree; I think it is what I call a "consumer report" type of attitude (all cars suck; unless they are toyota or honda). I am sure if they sold the UP or Polo in the USA; they would probably be trashed as well. I don't think we can win but I will be the first to admit; VWs are not the most reliable cars in the world! :)

Is there a online version of this article to link to? That way we all can read; about the concerns and issues you are referring to!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't found a online version yet. For the most part it was favorable, gas mileage, turbo=torque, roominess. They just compared the 4 wheel disc to the archeaic 4 wheel drum of the air cooled. Well no joke they are better! For a diesel it got 40+ routinely and did very well for the writer. I was surprised to read they came with a solid rear axle though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts