NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Where is home ....
11,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there fellow dubbers. :p

I just noticed about 1.5 hours ago that poor Zoomers rocker panel was injured -- by the dealership (who didnt tell me they hurt Zoomer - punks). It is underneath the driver side back part of the rocker panel ... where you would jack up the car - but on the rocker panel. I know I didnt cause it due to the fact that well, I would have noticed something denting my rocker, there arent any scratches, and it is a double dent. I will post pictures tomorrow (for my record).

I just wanted to know if anyone else has had this happen. And, what is the usual situation? I would like my panel replaced ... since, I am meticulous and, I love my ZOOMER! :(

Thanks!
Larissa & Zoomer

·
Eine Kleine Panzer
210 Posts
That part has to be repaired by a body shop...either filled in, reformed, and repainted; or sheet metaled over and repainted. That sucks, be prepared to try to prove the dealer did it which may be hard because you already accepted the car and drove it off the lot. I can't believe the dealer monkeys did that...what boneheads.:bash:

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
Stuff like this is the main reason Jenna doesn't go on a lift at the dealership. I have ramps at home, and if I have to take the tire off, I use the widowmaker and place a jackstand underneath the car. It's funny, my service advisor even told me that if my car ever goes to the dealer, to make them use the widowmaker, or else they'll crunch the rocker panel. Apparently, they haven't made an NB-friendly lift yet.

That being said, it's about a $900 repair to replace a rocker. The actual part is about $50, but it's around 11 hours of labor plus paint (at $40/hour).

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
Old Rocker Thread

Here is what I posted about my most recent experience with this was...

1 - Replace rt rocker panel $48.62 11.5 Labor 1.5 Paint
2 - Add for clear coat 0.6
3 - Fender 0.4 Labor
4 - R&I rt fender quarter pnl 0.4 Labor
5 - R&I rt fender 0.6 Labor
6 - Repl Car Cover $5.00 0.2 Labor
7 - Subl haz waste removal $3.00
8 - Rpr Double masking 0.1
9 - Rpr De-nib & Polish 0.3
10 - Repl Weld thru-primer $3.00
11 - Refn Corrosion protection 0.3
12 - Refn Custom Paint 2.0

Subtotals $59.62 12.7 labor 4.8 paint

Labor costs -
Body - $36/hr
Paint - $36.00/hr
Paint supplies - $26/hr

Grand total of $829.39

This was done in Dallas, Texas so I'm sure that some prices would be different elsewhere.
---------------------------------------------------------------
They tried to charge me $860 for the repair (the quote was for replacement). I told them that they told me no change in the cost would be made when they called me...I really would have rather they replaced. But they did a real good job on the geometry and you really can't tell...except the color of the yellow in my pinstripe is slightly more orange than the original paint...what can you do?

There are some people that do sell the retro running board ribbed black rubber somewhere out here on the org. I've seen a few up close and it does look pretty neat. I guess if you wanted to fill them yourself and not worry about getting the paint just right you could fill, prime and then apply the running board material. That is if the geometry isn't so warped that you couldn't just fill and cover it.

I also have heard some people suggest side skirts for a body kit if you are planning to go that way with the styling of your car.

Someone before said the fix would only be about $500...and I know one other member of my club that did get it for that price - but he was a VW tech and they probably did it for a loss because it was the body shop they sent all their work to.

Attachments

·
Where is home ....
11,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:mad: The dealership that did this knows I would never hurt Zoomer. When someone scratched me on the highway (another sotry) I took Zoomer in and they buffed it out (kinda) for free.

I dont usually take Zoomer in for oil changes/tire rotations. My fiance does them for me ... cheaper and I trust him.

I think I can prove that they did it. The injury is definatly not caused by me running over or running into anything. Since the damage cannot be seen unless you actually get on the ground and look under the car, I know for a FACT that I didnt hit anything.

I will still post images later today. (I just woke up). ;P

·
Registered
16 Posts
This summer Loki's passenger side rocker panel got dented something awful when we were forced onto a high curb (literally forced - it was either get out of the guy's way or get hit). I was so upset about it.

I've been delaying repairs because of the expense involved. It looks ugly as heck but we have other financial priorities at the moment and it might be early next year before we get it fixed.

·
Where is home ....
11,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am sorry to hear that Katiebug. :( I hope you get it fixed ASAP! *hugs* I know that it is hard to get things repaired with no dinero. Zoomer needs a new windscreen (been cracked since January 2005). He needs wheels repaired (dang curbs - pulled over for an ambulance and the 'gutter' pulled me into the high curb). His bonnet (little nose) is all rock chipped up. He needs new tires. One tire is almost BALD! Dont know how THAT happened. *RAGE*... oh well. :(

----------

As for my rocker panel problem.
Went to the dealer on Monday. These people know that I love Zoomer and would NEVER hurt him no matter what! I would hurt myself before I hurt my Zoomer ... anyway. They put him on the lift and basically told me there was no way in H E DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS that they could have hurt Zoomer. Now, I suppose I jumped to conclusions when figuring out who could have hurt Zoomer. I knew/know 100% that I didnt do it. Impossible where it is located. So, the only place that has lifted Zoomer up in the last 2 months (or more) is the dealership. So, I just assumed. The only other possible thing is the tire place. I had Zoomer taken in about 3 - 4 months ago to get a tire repaired. I didnt think about them until AFTER I took Zoomer in at the dealership. So, I cant prove anything to either one. Looks like Zoomer is forever damaged on his rocker panel. :(

Ive learned from this that ... I need to ALWAYS check my car out BEFORE driving away. It is the ONLY way to possibly know if someone damaged your car while it was in for service.

Silly me ... trusting people. :(

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
i have two dents on my passenger's side rocker panels. they were there when i got the car. i've heard these are easy area's to dent, and i've even seen similiar damage on other NBs. i have decided not to repair the dents due to cost. there are many cosmetic things i'd like to fix on curby, but it would take well over $1000 to do so. body / paint work is sooooo expensive and a rip-off, in my opinion.

good luck digitalputty. you might want to look into one of those places that fixes dents, but not necessarily paint. could be cheaper.

·
Where is home ....
11,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi ya folks!

No pictures yet. It sure is getting dark earlier these days. Grrr. I will try and get some tomorrow ... since, it is raining now. Figures too.

I've decided not to 'press charges' against anyone. Since, I cannot prove who did it.

The dealer said that it wouldnt make sense fixing them since it will probably just happen again. 0_o ... I have a different opinion but ... heh. What can I do? Just sit here and let Zoomer gte pumbelled (spelling?). *sorry, a bit down right now*. I just hope nothing else happens to poor Zoomer. :(

Thanks for the support! *hugs*

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
Larissa-

Cheer up. :) Zoomer knows you love him, and while the delaer presents a point, I think you should still fix him. Maybe get a set of side skirts as well to dress him up a bit. :)

·
Where is home ....
11,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the cheer up. :D

I would fix Zoomer but ... no money. I dont even have money to pay for gas! LOL! Someday ... Zoomer will be the 'fresh from factory' that he was the day he was born. :) (did that make sense?) :p

·
Member For Life
50 Posts
Mine were dented by some idiot putting it on a lift.(Both of them).
Then I hit a piece of lumber that reall put a good
gouge in my driver's side. I just got an estimate to have the
dents pulled out and both running boards primered. After I
get that done, I am seriously considering having the Line-X
bed liner sprayed on them. For kind of a retro look. I am
constantly wiping shoe scuff marks off of them and this
will cure that problem also. The Quote I got to pll the
dents and primer them was $285.00. Not as bad as some of
the estimates I've heard.....

·
Registered
126 Posts
Most lifts can be adjusted..not only positioned at the proper jacking points, but also height adjusted so they lift the unibody high enough to clear the rocker panels. I almost had mine smushed at the muffler shop...but caught them just before they hoisted globug01 and averted disaster. Moral of story...be there when they put the car on the lift if possible.

·
Where is home ....
11,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ill post pics (still) later. As soon as I figure out where my fiance put the dang batteries to his dang camera! HA!

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
I know this is an old post but,,,,,i had new rims put on about a month ago and then a week later i noticed a crease in the underside of the running board...no scratch just a crease i kow it was them but what was I going to do? it had been a week. like mine i see it every second i look at it but you really have to bend down and look under it...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts