NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Kimberlee
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got under our '05 NBC at the 75k mile mark today for the 5k oil change interval I always do on the car. When pulling the pan from underneath to access the drain plug and filter easier I noticed some wetness from oil in two spots. One spot was obviously the pass. side inner CV boot that has started to crack and there are 2 streams of oil slinging out on the oil guard around it. The other leak seems to be coming from somewhere on the backside of the engine. I'm wandering if it is leaking from the cam cover and just working it's way down to the bottom of the engine.

The car is at 75k and due for a timing belt change that I'm doing in the next month or so. I guess that would be a good time to reseal the cam cover.

The CV boot seems like a bit of a separate job and I'm wandering if the inner boot is easily replaceable. It just started leaking so I'm sure the joint is fine. On my Toyota the inner shaft has a clip holding the axle shaft into the gearbox. The shaft has to be tapped out with a large mallet. The shaft on my NBC doesn't have any visible bolts holding it on to the transmission. Does this shaft have to be hammered out like my Toyota or are there bolts hidden behind the boot.

I'm looking to just replace the boot at this point.

Attachments

·
Kimberlee
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is your transmission code?
I am all but positive that it is an 09M. From the looks of it it must have a design similar to my old Toyota. The axle looks clipped in internally and must be pried out. Hopefully I'll be able to do that without damaging any seals or the housing itself. I wander if I should pull the axle all the way out or just peel by boot back and pull the CV joint apart. That may end up being more trouble than it's worth.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello! I am curious as to if you determined the source of your oil leak. I have oil leaking in a very similar manner to that of your pictures. I know I have a leaky valve cover gasket, but would be a bit surprised if the valve cover gasket was causing the oil all over the backside of the engine. Any clues? I've found some mention of bad cam seals on the forum resulting in this mess.

·
Kimberlee
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't done the timing belt job yet. Ordering parts in a week or so. I am betting on the valve cover gasket being the culprit of the leak. If not I have a few mirrors I'm going to stick back there with a light to see where the highest point of the leak is. I've pulled the timing belt cover recently and it's been dry as a bone under there, I may even skip replacing the seals if the stockers are holding up fine. The ECS kit comes with new seals, although not OEM. Failed cam seals would really have a problem leaking down the BACK of the engine.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I have a very similar leak. Changed valve cover gasket last weekend and still [email protected]?:mad:
What engine do you have? If you have the 1.8 did you also change the plastic half moon gasket along with the cam chain gasket? That's where most of the leaks that run down on the transmission side come from. The valve cover gaskets usually come with those. Or perhaps one of your cam or crank seals needs to be replaced?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts