NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(2004 NB-Turbo 1.8 l) Desperately, I am trying to pry out the DRIVER SIDE inner CV-joint housing from the transaxle. There is no space to work with any wedging motion from opposite sides of the joint housing. The axleshaft is already out. And I thought it was easy :mad:. Please help. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Assume you have a 6 speed Tiptronic transmission and snap in axles??

I can tell you I have not removed my drivers side axle, I looked at it and there is VERY little room to work around this side to attempt to pry the axle out.

The official tool is a slid hammer with a open sided fork that you put around the end of the axle and try to use the slide hammer to pop the axle out.

It looks something like this - CV Joint Inner Puller Complete Set - Unique Truck Equipment

Problem is on this car there is very limited room so the end that hooks the inner Tripot joint may be very specific.

I also do not think most auto parts stores loan these, but you can check and see.

You may be able to make something up with some chain and a nut and bolt and maybe use the actual strut/hub as a way to pull the axle out??

I used an older 2 inch wide wood chisel to remove my passenger side axle on my car. You have to be VERY careful you do not crack or break the transaxle housing if you try to pry the axle out.

Good luck to you and I hope you can get the axle out with a lot of head ache.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jydxpsh13WQ

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jfoj,
Thank you for taking your time to respond to my Thread. I did not succeed in removing the housing and gave up :confused::( after laying under the car and struggling for over two hours. So, I assembled the axle again without the boot and drove the car to a regular mechanic, who himself worked on it - and almost giving up - for an hour.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I was hoping you would come back with a success story as I have to pull my drivers side axle out and replace it sometime soon.

Do you know how your mechanic finally was able to get the axle out?

I am looking for the shortcut that works!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Naturally, he has a lift to work freely under the car. From what he told me, that he rotated the housing (trans in "N") while he went on to shim between the housing and the transaxle at the opposite side so that the housing would not tilt, and finally it moved out. Hope you will be more successful !
I wonder if the inner groove for the spring ring has a tapered side for the ring to compress.
With regard to the special removal tool, I trust that it might be possible to grind off from the thickness of the fork until it slides in-between housing and transaxle. However, it also might weaken the fork so that it could break off.
The original housing has a ~3/8" wide outer groove cut into it where the boot slides over. Perhaps with a 1/4" wide clamp ring tightened around, into that groove and a puller hooking behind it, the housing could be worked out. Just a guess, may be worth while trying.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Right after I posted my reply I found out that prying and then turning the axle might get the axle out. It appears if you pry near the ends of the clip you might be more successful in getting the axle out. The problem is you have no idea where the split in the retaining clip is when the axle is in the car!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts