NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to install the water temperature gauge on my 2001 Beetle TDI 1.9. I am finding out that I have to order an adapter that splices into one of the coolant lines from (AC AUTOTECHNIC). I am trying to figure out which hose that I need to splice this adapter into for a TDI. If anyone has a picture of an install I would greatly appreciate it. I am also trying to figure out what size of adapter I need to order.

Thanks,

Brent

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got the gauges from 42 and they referred to AC Autotechnic. I have not been able to get a hold of them to find out what the correct size adapter would be.

The pictures would help a lot. T

Thanks,

·
'Mod' is my middle name
5 Posts
The proper size AC Autotechnic adapter is a 1 3/16" adapter. You can find them on e-bay just about any time. I bought mine from a seller known as 'silverimage3'.

·
Built 4 Sin !
81 Posts
I would love to do this as well....but if im not mistaking...there is an extra port hole where the temp. sensor is. Pop off that cap, and see if an adapter is available, and run it from there. Please let me know as soon as somebody knows about this. I would love to install one.

Niles in SoCal

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
Just another idea to consider. Instead of a coolant temp sensor, install an oil temp sensor. I am more concerned with oil temp than coolant temp. You will see a change in oil temp before you would see a change in coolant temp.
Just 'tee' off the oil sender in the base of the oil filter housing, and add in the temp sensor.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
I would not really comment on which is better, oil vs water temp. Ideally you would have both.

But as hannaco says, installing the oil temp is straight forward, and it is very useful.

42draft will sell you the appropriate VDO sender that fits in place of the oil pan drain bolt, and you just run a wire from that to the oil temp gauge. That's it. it works really good on ours.

·
CRAZ4VW
520 Posts
On my TDI the water temp comes up before the oil temp. It's actually kind of strange how it happens. Water temp comes up to a certain point, then stabilizes. It's then that the oil temp starts to come up. When the oil temp gets up to a certain point the water temp starts to climb again until it reaches normal operating temp. Once water temp is up to normal, oil temp slowly climbs to normal. Actually, with the electronic controlled thermostats and such, it all makes sense. But with water temp and oil temp gauges it's neat to watch how the car warms up. With my 1.8T the water temp would get to normal operating temps before oil temp started to come up. There wasn't the sort of dance that my TDI has.

Get the AC Autotechnic water temp adapter, 1 3/16". It makes for an easy water temp gauge install. Also, if you've got VDO gauges, get the oil temp sender that replaces the oil pan drain bolt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts