VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed my NewSouth gauges today, does anyone have any experience with these? They are supposed to match vw mk4 interior the best, but the needles on the NewSouth are clearly brighter than factory. Are my factory needle illumination lights just at the end of their life? Can this be corrected any way, or are they all like this?

·
Keep It Real
1,746 Posts
The contrast between the gauges is difficult to establish in the photo provided, is it "only" the red/orange needle that is brighter than those on the factory gauges or is it the entire gauge lighting that is brighter?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There may be a slight variation in the Indigo, but it is minimal. The difference between the needle color is very distinct.

·
Keep It Real
1,746 Posts
Hmmm, I don't know if there is anything you can do about the gauge needle to dial contrast.

I have 6 Autometer cobalt gauges which are their match for the factory MKIV gauges, on the Auometer gauges the needle to dial face lighting contrast matches the factory set.

The only thing I had to do is use high quality potentiometers to independently match the the upper and lower gauge set overall light intensity to that of the factory gauges, from there all dimming is controlled by the factory dash light dimmer dial.

·
Keep It Real
1,746 Posts
Yep, any resistance change applied to the power input of the gauge would affect the lighting of the entire gauge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts