NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2001 Beetle GLS, and failed to consider the fact that, on occasion, I have my son, niece, nephew, and their mother in the car. I realized last week that I couldn't legally transport all of them. It was fine for that day, I was teaching their mother how to drive stick in a parking lot, but we quickly realized that any driving on the road would be a bad idea. The the kids fit in the backseat just fine, but with only two seat belts, it posed quite the issue.

As with anything, I did some research on the matter and found that the Beetle, which is based on the Golf, is capable of having a lap belt in the middle rear seat. With that in mind, I found a universal lap belt at my local AutoZone. Part number sb-001. The total cost (before tax) was $15.99. The seat belt came with a few different mounting options that will work with the Beetle. The best option is to remove the bolts that hold in the buckles and add the mounting brackets directly to those mounting points. I couldn't find the appropriate ratchet today, so rather than install it this way, I securely tethered the seat belts using an alternative method. I regret that I don't have any pictures to back this up, but when you pull the bench out, there are plastic caps on either side of the middle of the seat. I pulled those off and attached the seat belt (as per the instructions in the box) to the two metal parts under the plastic caps. Once I get the correct ratchet, I'm going to change it over to the bolts since I don't actually know what those metal parts under the plastic caps are. They seem like they'd hold up in a car accident, but I know the bolts would.

If anyone has prior experience installing a seat belt, I'd like to hear how you did it. I've heard about extra mounting brackets in the Beetle, but I've been unable to find them.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
When you mounted the lap belt and removed the plastic caps,
Did the bolts just screw in to threaded mounted points pre installed?
I’m looking at buying a Beetle, however I need the use of three seats in the back even though the price bird will be rarely used.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts