VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1998 NewBee TDi
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I'm back after a loooooooooong hiatus; UFO TDi here again from NorCal; I've run into a conundrum with Auxito LED bulbs so need to see if anyone out here has installed them on a pre-2000 NewBee.

The issue I'm facing is there are 2 male spade lugs on the base of this bulb and I've confirmed there's no connectivity between the negative lug and the base of the bulb. Note that In an early NewBee, both the high and low beam H1 bulbs are grounded through their bases with only a single hot lead to these bulbs' spade lug

There is a harness that comes with these LEDs, but it is dependent on a double-lead plug which does not exist in early NewBees. Thank you in advance for your collective wisdom & input
mit freudlichen Grüßen
Jan Peters
Automotive lighting Office equipment Gas Font Bumper

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Does the harness adapter have 2 spade lugs at the end? You should be able to remove spade terminal with the brown ground wire from the metal piece that holds the back of the bulb and push it on to the negative lug of the adapter. Since there is no connection to the base of the new bulb the ground connection is no longer needed there.

·
Registered
1998 NewBee TDi
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the harness adapter have 2 spade lugs at the end? You should be able to remove spade terminal with the brown ground wire from the metal piece that holds the back of the bulb and push it on to the negative lug of the adapter. Since there is no connection to the base of the new bulb the ground connection is no longer needed there.
thanks for asking; there is only 1 wire (hot lead) connecting to the H1 Bulb itself... there is no ground wire to the bulb holder. BTW, this is an early March, '98 New Beetle. I'll check it again tomorrow morning after it warms up here 🥶
mit freudlichen Grüßen
Jan Peters

·
Registered
1998 NewBee TDi
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do your connections look like the ones at the 3:10 mark in this video:

Thank you for getting back to me; we have hit a "Houston, we have a problem" moment... the Auxito LED's (for Low-beams) will absolutely NOT fit inside the stock back cover... but the high-beams (naturally) have plenty of space... that said, I've ordered Lasfit 50 Watt LEDs which appear to be 10 mm shorter and may fit the low beam... more to come when these arrive...
mit freudlichen Grüßen
Jan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts