VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Tower Of Power
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched the posts concerning the install of the old style beetle horn but I am a bit confused. On a 2001 1.8T, can someone give a clear explanation on how the new horn should be wired? If I understand correctly the stock horn is wired with a plug? Are there 2 wires that need to be cut and do I use both on the new/old horn?
Thanks for any insight on this.
Dean

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
Just a wild guess here....

The stock horn is in the drivers side fender below the headlight. If you look from below you can see it. If it attaches with a plug, i imagine unplgugging it and tapping into the other end could work. If it needs the connector to work, i imagine you could cut the wires after the plug and tap in there. Than you'd just have to figure out how to mount it.

·
Tower Of Power
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, that is the post that I read. I think the way it was worded in one part was confusing, but I think I get the picture.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
The small brass phillips head is for ground, the 2 flat tabs are for + and -.

You're stock horn is actually 2 different horns, so just use the wires for ONE of those, splice into them and connect to this new horn.

You may or may not need the grounding screw, I dunno. I'd use it if there's a 3rd wire there. But + and - will be the thick wires.

You may want to tape the wires into place to make sure they aren't backwards. Just electrical tape them to the contacts then go put a key in & tap the horn. See what happens. If everything operates correctly, solder them into place and cover w/shrink tube. Or put some connectors on and slide them on, or ... whatever you choose to do to make the connection.

·
Autobots! Roll out!
146 Posts
This is quite right. I installed a 12v old beetle horn into my Herbie, just because it seemed right that a beetle makes that noise. And don't worry, the horn is loud enough. Purchasing somw rubber grometts for the wires is also a good thing, by the way...:D

noR said:

You're stock horn is actually 2 different horns, so just use the wires for ONE of those, splice into them and connect to this new horn.

You may or may not need the grounding screw, I dunno. I'd use it if there's a 3rd wire there. But + and - will be the thick wires.

You may want to tape the wires into place to make sure they aren't backwards. Just electrical tape them to the contacts then go put a key in & tap the horn. See what happens. If everything operates correctly, solder them into place and cover w/shrink tube. Or put some connectors on and slide them on, or ... whatever you choose to do to make the connection.

·
Ret.
839 Posts
The Screw

Are you sure the Phillips screw is for grounding and not for tonal quality adjustment? Just wondering.
That didn't even occur to me...I really don't know. I attached the horn directly to the same place the previous bar had been, so that took care of the grounding.

The guy at TVA said to call him if I needed any further instruction, because he'd installed a few. Maybe they know what the screw is for.

Update: I spoke with TVA but they didn't seem to know what the Phillips head screw was for.

·
Registered
74 Posts
so I havent tried locating the horn yet but I have an ooga horn I want to install, is that gonna fit? My dad is telling me no, but Im hoping he is wrong. To get to my horn do I need to jack the car up or just crawl underneath it well the car sits low so I dunno and I like trying to do alot of mods on my own so I can brag I did it, lol.....thanks in advance if anyone can help me out.

·
Bug Less
3,754 Posts
Are you sure the phillips screw is for grounding and not for tonal quality adjustment? Just wondering.
I think your right, the horn on the old bugs grounded with the bolted part, Ive switched wires around on the horns before when ive had to change them and never had a problem .. :confused: I know the mk1s and early vanagons had the old style Meep horn too.

·
Ret.
839 Posts

You may or may not need the grounding screw, I dunno.
On my horn, the brass Philips screw is actually a volume control of sorts. It'll take the volume all the way down to silent.

·
Ret.
839 Posts
Is this something I can do myself? I have this horn (pic below). I can't get the old forum to work to see the how to :(
View attachment 34971
Lnzbug, I bought that exact same horn that you have pictured, mine coming from TVA...
Does your sound loud enough to suit you? I like the sound of mine, but I just wish it were louder. I adjusted the Philips screw to the loudest setting, but it still sounds a bit soto voce.

Does anyone think the Hella horn might be louder? The seller claims 113 Db on this ad:

HORN HELLA VW BEETLE KARMANN GHIA VANAGON VOLKSWAGON*CM:eBay Motors (item 260385775283 end time Oct-26-09 07:07:02 PDT)

·
Ret.
839 Posts
Hella

I installed the Hella horn today, and it is much louder, and I'm very pleased with it. While the other horn that I ordered from TVA sounded cute, this one is much louder and has more attitude. It's rated at 113 decibels. I'm not sure what the TVA horn was rated. I actually wondered if anyone would hear the TVA horn to avert an accident, especially in a traffic situation.

The hella horn is larger, and just heavier duty and better built...and still has the Beetle sound.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have searched the posts concerning the install of the old style beetle horn but I am a bit confused. On a 2001 1.8T, can someone give a clear explanation on how the new horn should be wired? If I understand correctly the stock horn is wired with a plug? Are there 2 wires that need to be cut and do I use both on the new/old horn?
Thanks for any insight on this.
Dean
Hello, well, I was able to have the old style 12v VW Beetle horn installed (by my local international auto repair mechanic) in my new 2018 VW Beetle S this past week. No problem, they just unplugged the two horns, and plugged in the (new) old style horn. They left the original two horns in place, but now only the MEEP MEEP works. I'm love'n it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.