NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had an aftermarket "OEM" style rear spoiler painted to match my car. Does anyone have any ideas on how to mark where to drill the holes in my trunk lid? I obviously need to do this right the first time! Thanks! :)

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks for no help!

I put this post on last week. With everyone running body kits on this site, no one put on a spoiler?!?!?!

Don't worry, my brother and I figured it out ourselves! :mad:

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Wow; I don't know if I should be sorry I didn't give you any ideas or not. I don't run a body kit; but gee, someone didn't answer you within 3 days (over a weekend mind you) and you react like that? Tre cool.

Enjoy the wing. Do you plan on sharing how you did it?

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry Monday Morning Crankiness!

I was surprised that I didn't even get a response! I am also a member of a camaro site (FASTLS1.com), and I am used to members pitching in with help and suggestions ASAP. I always thought VW people were more outgoing and helpful, but not in this case! :(

I will post some pics ASAP. The wing came out great! and I am very happy with it. :) We tried to follow the directions that came with the kit, measuring, using felt tip markers, etc.... But it seemed kind of ridiculous and confusing. :confused:

What we did was use blue painters masking tape (the kind that doesn't leave glue marks)to temporarily attach the foam gasgets to the "legs" of the wing. We then positioned the wing where I wanted it, peeled the self adhesive backing from the foam gasgets and pressed the wing into place. We then peeled the masking tape off of the gaskets/wing, and lifted the wing off of the car. This proceedure left the gasgets glued in the correct place on the trunk to be used as a pattern to drill the bolt holes. We then drilled four bolt holes, and attached the wing. The whole installation took 25 minutes! :banana:

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
It's a true rarity that someone didn't respond. Any chance of photos of the installation? I'm doing this myself in the not too distant future and would love to come back to a thread with info on how to do it.

Don't hold it against the board though. This board genuinely has some great people.

John

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We took some pics. I have to get them developed and scanned. I a writing it off to it being a busy weekend with Halloween, therefore a lack of response! Oh well! Try again next time!

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Which wing are you considering? I did a "Boomerang" with two mounting legs.

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
I like the kind that sits flat out the back on two pedastals almost like a shelf. Not sure if you'd call it a boomerang actually. I wish my money situation would level out. Darnit i want the wing so bad.

You are lucky man. you got a winger.

john

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would assume so, otherwise you would eventually end up with rain water finding its way in through the bolt holes.

The other benefit was that the mounting points on the wing (Pre-drilled bolt holes) were not in the same place on each "leg". By lining up the gasgets on the wing's legs first, then lining up the wing on the car, we were able to keep everything straight and level. If I had measured the legs and just marked the trunk lid as the directions said to do, the wing would have been uneven!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think this is the same wing I bought from E-bay. We couldn't get the contour of the legs to fit the contour of the trunk lid - did you have any problem with that?

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The passenger side leg was a little off, but not too bad when I tightened it down with the gasget. The body shop that painted the part for did not want to install it because he had had the same problem on two previous cars.

·
Registered
64 Posts
WNAB911 said:
The passenger side leg was a little off, but not too bad when I tightened it down with the gasget. The body shop that painted the part for did not want to install it because he had had the same problem on two previous cars.
I'm still trying to figure out what to do about this wing... did you ever take those pics you mentioned. Did you do anything to modify the wing before you installed it to compensate for where it was off? Do your wing's legs run horizontal or vertical? My husband and the body shop that was going to paint and install tried for quite some time to figure out a way to do it but couldn't and by the time we found that out it was past the 30 days we had to return it. :( then when I contacted the seller, I could get no response. :mad:

·
Registered
58 Posts
When I ordered my car new-I paid for a genuine VW rear spoiler to be fitted.The car took 4 months to get here and the Dealer still couldn't deliver it with a spoiler fitted-all the excuses under the sun.Any how they posted it to me a week later so I could fit it-didn't need any holes to be drilled-came with a tube of glue similar to what's used to fit windscreens.After I glued it in place,just used some masking tape until it had cured.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts