NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
What's wrong with yours?

I'm at work and don't have my bentley to check if it's the same but I have an 01' 1.8t I had to change the tank on due to being hit and the guy not having insurance. :mad:

And let me tell you, it's NOT fun. It was actually quite awful. haha. There's probably an easier way than what I did, but I couldn't find it. After running the tank as empty as possible, we removed both back wheels, both back fenders and the bumper (a little easier IMO than removing just the back passenger side..) The tank WOULD NOT come out, we ended up having to drop the exhaust to give it more room to come out. Still wouldn't. Had to drop the rear axle (luckily not having to undo the brake lines, just be careful to support the axle to not put stress on the lines..) That gave us enough clearance to get the tank out.

The fuel lines are actually pretty easy to get off, just be super careful not to break them. They do get brittle with age and it's not cheap or easy to replace the lines all the way up to the front of the car if you break one.. There's a small button on the clip. I used a pair of needle nose pliers the depress the "magic button" and the lines came right off. No resistance at all. (I think most that have broken them probably just yanked on the lines.. don't forget the button.)

Also note the orientation of the fuel pump. It needs to be exactly lined up when you swap it in the new tank to work properly. It's a bit of a pain to remove but not too awful. Mine made me bleed lol. Also make sure the "sock" on the bottom of the pump is clean before reinstalling. I didn't, and ultimately had my pump acting up less than a month later. Which resulted in me having to remove and replace it. Luckily the pump was only $50 from a local salvage yard. :)

That's all I can think of at the moment. Feel free to PM me if ya get stuck. I kinda had to fumble my way through it because not a lot of people on here have had to replace their gas tank. Oh, and don't even think this is possible to do on jack stands.. it's not. I strongly recommend use of a lift for this....

Oh, and change your fuel filter while you're in there. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Frustrated!

Hi Randi, I actually pulled your post up when you first posted the change! I have it printed and everything, now I'm worried about doing this! My husband and his brother who is ver mechanically inclined are going to try to tackle it today, I pulled all the info from your posts/threads...mine has a crack in it,and getting TERRIBLE gas mileage as well as slowly dripping, its a 98 2.0L...from the research I've done I have found not only yours but also found some info where you can pull the backseat out and change it out, I don't know how accurate or easy that is though...ugh..I'm frustrated!

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
Hi Randi, I actually pulled your post up when you first posted the change! I have it printed and everything, now I'm worried about doing this! My husband and his brother who is ver mechanically inclined are going to try to tackle it today, I pulled all the info from your posts/threads...mine has a crack in it,and getting TERRIBLE gas mileage as well as slowly dripping, its a 98 2.0L...from the research I've done I have found not only yours but also found some info where you can pull the backseat out and change it out, I don't know how accurate or easy that is though...ugh..I'm frustrated!
You can pull the bottom of the back seat out to change the fuel PUMP.. You have to actually. I don't think there's a way to change the whole tank through the back seat :confused:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OH GREAT! Should have known this would not be something easy! Also how about the reverse not wanting to shift into gear. It just gave me problems today! It will not go into reverse, but it shifts smoothly in all other gears, it's a manual...this car is beginning to piss me off!

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
OH GREAT! Should have known this would not be something easy! Also how about the reverse not wanting to shift into gear. It just gave me problems today! It will not go into reverse, but it shifts smoothly in all other gears, it's a manual...this car is beginning to piss me off!
You have the 5 speed manual trans?

It's probably just the shift linkage, the little plastic piece breaks. It's a $20 part, there are metal replacements someone sells but I can't remember who, probably takes 30 minutes to replace. :)

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Hi Krissie,

I just checked my E-mails and found yours. Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I did send you a link to Randi's post last year which you already found. Hope your Husband and friend are going to be able to get it done.

About the shifting. I posted a reply in the other thread you ask the question. There is a nice YouTube video on how to adjust the linkage. Hope this helps.

Good Luck!!

VW 5 speed shifter adjustment for 02J and MQ250 transmissions - YouTube

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
crack on gas tank

FYI-
How bad of a crack on the gas tank? if you can get to it without removing the whole tank perhaps you can just J&B weld the crack. this stuff bonds strong and is resistant to gas and oil. Best part is it's only $4 bucks at the local parts store. Might save you a lot of time, money and aggrivation...just don't bond your fingers together. LOL :D

Attachments

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
FYI-
How bad of a crack on the gas tank? if you can get to it without removing the whole tank perhaps you can just J&B weld the crack. this stuff bonds strong and is resistant to gas and oil. Best part is it's only $4 bucks at the local parts store. Might save you a lot of time, money and aggrivation...just don't bond your fingers together. LOL :D
I used that before on my old Mustangs Fuel Tank and it worked like a charm. Once that stuff sets there are no forces on earth getting it apart. Much easier than replacing the fuel tank that's for sure!! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
jb weld

I use it alot to bond my front splash shields everytime the Rodents decide to run into my poor beetle, nasty vermints. LOL :D

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I use it alot to bond my front splash shields everytime the Rodents decide to run into my poor beetle, nasty vermints. LOL :D
You rodent killer you ;) My rodents like me and only sleep between on top of the transmission case and air intake.
They leave as soon as I start the engine. ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did do the sealant and it did not work :( the crack is very deep and long and my gas expense is becoming an issue!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bad tank has been pulled and new tank is installed! Car is still on lift to finish up some final connections but hubs said it wasn't too bad..(at this point) We'll see once it's on the ground and running! Thanks for everybody's help, especially Randi! Now to fix the linkage...

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Bad tank has been pulled and new tank is installed! Car is still on lift to finish up some final connections but hubs said it wasn't too bad..(at this point) We'll see once it's on the ground and running! Thanks for everybody's help, especially Randi! Now to fix the linkage...
YEAH!!! Congrats! :bigthumb:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts