NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 New Beetle 2.0 non-turbo automatic. Thinking my speedometer problem was a result of a faulty speedometer, I bought a junkyard speedometer, took it to the dealer, and had it installed and programmed. I later found out my speedometer problem came from the speedometer drive gear (which I replaced), so now I'd like to have my original speedometer (with the correct mileage on it) back in the car.

Here's my question: Since the original speedometer was programmed for my car and there's nothing wrong with it, can I just put the old speedometer into the car and expect it to work? My question is really, is the car programmed to the speedometer in some way, or is the speedometer programmed to the car? If the latter is true, then I can change back to my original.

One collateral problem from my speedometer change: The dealer did not ask me for all my keys, and they did not tell me the keys would be reprogrammed. They took the car with the key I gave them, and now my second key, the fob key, does not work. Again, will this problem be resolved if I put the original cluster in the car?

Many thanks in advance...

·
Registered
14,052 Posts
From what I understand; to have your original speedo work again, you would need to have it programmed/matched again, along with all the keys you want to use with your car; the immobilizer is inside the speedo cluster. I assume the process has to be done all over again; however, you could certainly, install the old speedo and see if it works as is (if not; get the matching/programming process done).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The original speedometer worked!

I asked my mechanic to try putting my old speedometer back in. It worked. It had my correct mileage on it. Now both keys work. It's interesting, how much information is held in that little speedometer cluster. Thanks for the reply.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts