NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Removing the instrument cluster is only required if you have to remove the drive side dash, air bag or to repair the blend door.

DISCLAIMER: The author(s) assume that you (the reader) are reasonably capable with the automotive tools necessary to get the job accomplished, which means that you understand that a hack saw or cutting torch are not the right tools and are smart enough to know not to try to blame or post ranting about anyone else if something goes horribly wrong. AGREED?

These instructions were developed using the following NB - 1998 2.0 liter 5 speed

As always, just remember to offer a simple thank you and credit to the original author (D2Beetle) when you tell all of your NB friends!!

ITEMS NEEDED: An automotive manual; I have the eBahn Bentley DVD and the 1998/1999 Bentley Manual (C-1999).

PROJECT COST: $ 0.00 unless you break something.

SPECIAL TOOLS: None

TIME NEEDED: < 10 minutes.

SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: Be sure that you have your Radio Code so that when you reconnect the battery you can get it out of "SAFE" mode.

CAUTIONS: It is necessary to disconnect the the battery for this project, so you do not short out the instrument cluster or accidentally set off the air bag. Be careful with all plastic, it will be brittle. If something does not move look for the screw(s) or clip(s) that you missed.

So let’s begin...

Step One: Remove the instrument cluster cover. Notice in pic [IC DIY 01] the odometer display is blank; if you have not disconnected the negative terminal battery, DO SO NOW!

Pull gently on the top center of the instrument cluster cover; it will unsnap and you can remove it. Pic [IC DIY 10] shows you what the inside of the cover looks like; do not damage the foam insulation.

Step Two: Remove the instrument cluster. [IC DIY 03] The are two screws (T-10 bit noted in yellow) and two alignment tabs (noted in green); do not break off the alignment tabs! Remove the two screws, put your fingers on the sides where the two alignment tabs are and pull toward you.

Step Three: Disconnect the wiring harness from the instrument cluster. [IC DIY 04] The wire on the left side (green connector #1) of my instrument cluster was longest so I disconnected it first. [IC DIY 05] Using a small flat head screw driver, push in/down on the small connector tab while flipping up on the locking lever. It is a bit awkward but fairly easy to do. [IC DIY 06] Grip the connector (yellow circle) and pull out, careful these connectors have a snug fit; if you pull to hard, when it releases you will bang your knuckles on the top portion of the instrument cover. [IC DIY 07 and 08] Repeat this step for the blue connector #2.

That is it, you are done!

Pic [IC DIY 09] shows you the instrument console empty.

Attachments

·
Real life Beetle mechanic
572 Posts
I hope no-one minds if I add to this topic.

The adaptation function is used to initiate and store the following changes:

•Adapting odometer reading when exchanging instrument cluster
•Adapting fuel gauge
Individual functions can be called up using the appropriate adaptation channel number (see adaptation table below).

Adaptation table

Adaptation
channel Adaptation functions

09 - Adapting odometer reading, see below.
30 - Adapting fuel gauge, see below.

NOTE:
After changing an adaptation value or ending an adaptation, "Adaptation" function 10 must be selected again to insert another adaptation channel number.

Odometer reading, adaptation

NOTES:

•The total distance travelled can be read from the malfunctioning Instrument cluster or determined by the vehicle service history.
•The total distance travelled display of new instrument cluster must not be more than 100 km (63 mi) before adaptation.
•The total distance travelled to be transferred to the new instrument cluster must exceed 100 km (63 mi) .
•Adapting the total distance travelled is only possible once and only in a positive (upward) direction.
•Adaptation can be interrupted with the "C" button of the VAG 1551/1552 Scan Tool (ST) .
•Correcting a false entry which has been confirmed is not possible. The instrument cluster must be exchanged for a new one.
•Adaptation value on VDO instrument clusters must be entered in kilometers. For US models, adaptation value must be converted from miles to kilometers first (miles x 1.609 = kilometers).
•Adaptation value on Magneti Marelli (M73) instrument clusters for US models must be entered in miles.
Example:
The malfunctioning instrument cluster has an odometer display of 89627 km. The odometer display can be transferred to the new instrument cluster as follows:

•Connect scan tool, select 1 "Rapid Data Transfer", switch on ignition, input address word 17 "Instrument cluster".
•Press -Q- button to confirm input.
Various data appears in the display. The manufacturer's code is also displayed. See: Scan Tool Testing and Procedures\Scan Tool Connecting and Initial Checks

•Press -> key, wait until next display appears and press -> button again.
Indicated on display:

Rapid data transfer
Select function XX HELP

•Press button -1-twice.
Indicated on display:

Rapid data transfer
11-Login procedure Q

Indicated on display:

Login procedure
Enter code number XXXXX Q

•Enter code number 13861.
Indicated on display:

Login procedure
Enter code number 13861 Q

if a wrong code is entered 3 times, "FAIL" appears in odometer display. In this case, the ignition must be switched off and on again, and the Login procedure repeated using the correct code.

Indicated on display (select function):

Rapid data transfer
Select function XX HELP

•Press buttons -1 - and -0- to select function 10, "Adaptation".
Indicated on display:

Rapid data transfer
10 - Adaptation Q

•Press -Q- button to confirm input
Indicated on display:

Adaptation
Enter channel number XX

•Press buttons -0- and -9- to select channel 09.
Indicated on display:

Adaptation
Enter channel number 09 Q

Indicated on display:

Channel 9 Adaptation 0 ->
<-1 3>

•Move forward in program by pressing -> button.
Indicated on display:

Channel 9
Input adaptation value XXXXX Adaptation 0

•Enter adaptation value (desired odometer reading) using VAG 1551/1552 key pad.
NOTES:

•Adaptation value on VDO instrument clusters must be entered in kilometers. For US models, adaptation value must be converted from miles to kilometers first (miles x 1.609= kilometers) .
•Adaptation value on Magneti Marelli (M73) instrument clusters for US models must be entered in miles.
•Option method of adaptation entry is to press button 1 (to decrease value) or 3 (to increase value) as long as adaptation value (desired odometer reading) exceeds 110 kms/mi.
The last position of the odometer reading (kilometers or miles) must be rounded off to the nearest 10 kms/mi. For example, a kilometer reading of 89627 produces an adaptation value of:

Indicated on display:

Channel 9 Adaptation 0
Input adaptation value 08963 Q

Indicated on display:

Channel 9 Adaptation 8963 Q
<-1 3->

The odometer reading entered now appears in the display of the instrument cluster. If the displayed reading is not OK, e.g. false entry:

•Press -C- button and enter correct adaptation value again.
If the displayed reading in instrument cluster is OK.

Indicated on display:

Charnel 9 Adaptation 8963
Store changed value? Q

Indicated on display:

Channel 9
Changed value is stored Adaptation 8963 ->

•Press -> button to complete adaptation sequence.
Indicated on display (select function):

Rapid data transfer
Select function XX HELP

•Press buttons -0- and -6- to select "End Output" function 06.
Indicated on display:

Rapid data transfer
06 - End Output Q

Indicated on display:

Rapid data transfer
Select address word XX HELP

The scan tool returns to the start of the program sequence.

Fuel gauge, adaptation
If the fuel gauge displays the contents of the fuel tank as being to high or too low, the fuel gauge needle position in the instrument cluster can be corrected (adapted).

•Perform output diagnostic test mode for instrument cluster. See: Scan Tool Testing and Procedures\Output Diagnostic Test Mode (DTM) (Function 03)
•Check function of fuel level sensor if output diagnostic test mode does not display a malfunction:
•Check resistance value of fuel level sensor in measuring value block. Read measuring value block. See: Scan Tool Testing and Procedures\Measuring Value Blocks (Function 08)
If read measuring value block does not display a short circuit or open circuit in the wiring or the fuel level sensor, continue checks:

•Switch ignition off.
•Drain fuel tank completely, then fill with 10 liters ( 2.64 gal) of fuel.
WARNING!

•Fire hazard. DO NOT smoke or work near heaters or have anything in the area that can ignite fuel
•Drain fuel using an approved fuel cart.
•Wear fuel-resistant gloves whenever working with open parts of the fuel system.
•Connect VAG1551 scan tool, select "Rapid data transfer" operating mode 1 ,switch ignition on and enter "Instrument Cluster" address word 17.
Indicated on display

Rapid data transfer
17 - Instrument Cluster Q

Indicated on display

3B091988 B5-COMBI INSTR M73 VA2 ->
Coding 00042 WSC 00000

•Press -> button.
Indicated on display

Rapid data transfer
Select function XX HELP

Adapting fuel gauge

•Press buttons -1-and -0-to select "Adaptation" function 10.
Indicated on display

Rapid data transfer
10 - Adaptation Q

Indicated on display

Adaptation
Insert channel number XX

•Press buttons -3- and -0- to insert channel number 30.
Indicated on display

Channel 30 Adaptation 128
<- 1 3 -> ->

•Use button -1-to decrease adaptation value down to 120.
•Use button -3-to increase adaptation value up to 136, e.g.130.
Indicated on display

Channel 30 Adaptation 130
<- 1 3-> Q

The fuel gauge is correctly adapted when the needle is positioned on the right-hand red graduation (reserve), as illustrated.

When needle position is OK:

Indicated on display

Channel 30
Save modified value? Adaptation 130 Q

Indicated on display

Channel 30
Modified value is saved Adaptation 130 ->

•End fuel gauge adaptation with button.
Indicated on display

Rapid data transfer
Insert address word XX HELP

NOTE:
Replace fuel level sensor only if fuel gauge cannot be adapted correctly.

•Press buttons -0- and -6-to select "End Output" function 06.
Indicated on display

Rapid data transfer
06 - End Output Q

Indicated on display

Rapid data transfer
Insert address word XX HELP

The scan tool returns to the start of the program sequence.

*The big question is, can you make your odometer read whatever you want?*

·
It's what the people want
88 Posts
One of the lights in my instrument cluster is burned out (the one for cruise control). I don't really care about it too much since I leave the cruise control on at all times, but if it's this easy to remove the cluster, is it also possible to replace that bulb, or would I have to replace the whole cluster?

·
I Love Hippos.
305 Posts
One of the lights in my instrument cluster is burned out (the one for cruise control). I don't really care about it too much since I leave the cruise control on at all times, but if it's this easy to remove the cluster, is it also possible to replace that bulb, or would I have to replace the whole cluster?
All the lights on the instrument cluster are LEDs... there aren't any replaceable bulbs that I know-of... but you can definitely change out the LED... I posted a DIY on how to disassemble the cluster enough to desolder and resolder the LEDs.

Click Here.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think I need to replace my instrument cluster. Problem is I have an aftermarket radio and I can't find the OEM Radio code anywhere in the car. What do I need to do?

·
Registered
33 Posts
The O.E. radio code is only for the original style radios. You won't need a code for an aftermarket stereo.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Thanks, I feel like a goober. I miss read the step, I was thinking I needed the code for the cluster.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Excuse my noobness but what is needed for the immobilizer if anything when swapping cluster? Thanks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am converting my bug to an EV, with that my Conversion shop would like to use the gas gauge to connect to the battery level and tach to the electric motor rpm, etc.

This is a self help conversion, I am not real mechanical, but the converter has done allot of these. My 99 NB 2.0 auto may be the newest car he has converted and therefore has more computer components than he is use to.

If we remove the cluster, are there contact points or wires we can get to? Or would it be easier but ugly to mount a gauge externally?

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am converting my bug to an EV, with that my Conversion shop would like to use the gas gauge to connect to the battery level and tach to the electric motor rpm, etc.

This is a self help conversion, I am not real mechanical, but the converter has done allot of these. My 99 NB 2.0 auto may be the newest car he has converted and therefore has more computer components than he is use to.

If we remove the cluster, are there contact points or wires we can get to? Or would it be easier but ugly to mount a gauge externally?
Not certain I completely understand the question; however the only contact points for the instrument cluster are the Blue and Green connectors. For NB's the car's computer is the "heart of it"; everything routes thru the computer first and then goes out the "human interface" components.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts