NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a n00b question, and I apologize in advance if it is. I searched and couldn't find what I was looking for, so any pointers would be helpful.

I bought my 18yo daughter a 2000 NB (1.8T) a couple of weeks ago, and my first order of business was to get the immobilizer deleted, since I had no programmed keys. All was (at least relatively) well. I followed the instructions on a YouTube video to take out the instrument cluster and put some tape over the immobilizer light.

The problem occurred when putting the instrument cluster back in. I somehow managed to break the purple latch on the "blue side" of the connector, and it's not making a tight connection. Are replacement latches available? How do I find a part number, if so? If not, is there another way of keeping that connection snug?

If all else fails, it seems I could 3-D print one, but with the one I have being broken, I'm not sure I could get the CAD files right. Is the "green side" the same as the "blue side"?

·
Registered
13,674 Posts
Many of the plastic connectors and the specific latches on the speedo plugs; get brittle from heat and age. In many cases; no matter how careful you are, the brittle and delicate degraded plastics, will shatter/break. Most of the connectors; have part numbers on them and should be available, through your local VW dealer. It may require the use of a magnifying glass; as the imprinted part #'s, can be pretty tiny! If you can't find the part number; your local VW dealer, should be able to identify it and order you a new one, based upon your VIN #.

If you continue to work on your VW; just assume, after 18 years, MANY connectors, used all over the car will shatter and break. Don't feel bad; you are not the only one and it happens, to all of us. Depending on the connector; sometimes, you can use zip ties, to secure the broken connector, until you get a new one from VW. The more common connectors; like the notoriously failure prone, coil pack plugs/connectors, have been reproduced by the aftermarket, which include new terminal ends/pigtail included and you can find them on ebay or amazon. However, most plug housings; aren't terribly expensive and so, you might stick with oem quality parts, just get them from VW.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! My nearest VW dealer is over an hour drive away, so I try to avoid that if I can. Knowing there might be a part number on it will sure help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts