NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I turn the switch to turn on my lights in my 2000 NB the exterior lights come on, but the dash doesn't light up. Also, when I switch it on the little indicators next to the shifter turn off (they're on when the lights are off)

All the fuses are good, and I tried a replacement switch which also didn't help. I've had the door panel off to investigate how to replace the power mirror switch (nob broke off, haven't replaced it yet)

Is there something in the door that I could have accidentally broken or loosened?

Hopefully it's something I can fix without taking the entire dash apart.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
Is the dimmer switch turned all the way up as well? There is a dimmer and I think its underneath the headlight knob. I know its somewhere over there at least.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I'm assuming your referring to the background lighting and not the indicator and warning lights. Bulbs could be burned out, but with the shifter light issue, I'm thinking possible bad ground. Need a wiring diagram and a multi-meter to check for both power, and for ground continuity.

MORAV

·
I Love Hippos.
305 Posts
Am I reading your post correctly?
  • The Instrument Cluster doesn't light up when you turn on your headlights.
  • The Gear Indicator lights (automatic, right?) are on all the time, but turn off when you turn the headlights on?
Sounds like you have a messed up relay somewhere.

What happens to the radio lighting?

.addicted2sp33d (Judee's Chauffeur)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Radio lights are fine, but it's not a VW radio. I just realized the a/c fan knobs and such don't light up either. Another new development is the switch buzzes pretty loud when the high beams are on.

We've given the multi-meter a try but not with a wiring diagram so it was guess work....gonna give it a shot again. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Radio lights are fine, but it's not a VW radio. I just realized the a/c fan knobs and such don't light up either. Another new development is the switch buzzes pretty loud when the high beams are on.

We've given the multi-meter a try but not with a wiring diagram so it was guess work....gonna give it a shot again. Thanks
Tell me what circuits you are trying to check and I'll see if I can post up the wiring schematics for you sometime tomorrow. 2000, 2.0L or 1.8T? You might drop me a p/m, in case I miss your post.

I also read a TSB earlier this evening regarding coolant leakage onto cluster eharness and contaminating the harness and causing problems, I believe it applied to your year, but I think this would be more applicable to warning and indicator lights, but it didn't say. Have you had any coolant leakage problems in the past.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2.0L, 2000

No leakage problems that I know of. Most recently I replaced the alternator and battery and a fuse for the radio. After replacing the alternator and battery everything was fine for a while. I removed the driver side door panel to replace the mirror control knob. I don't remember if I drove in the dark after taking the panel off...I don't think so, so I don't know if it stopped working before or after that. I took the panel off again to see if anything was disconnected in there but it all looks fine.

Unfortunately I don't have the tools or a garage (or even a driveway, love street parking...) to work on it again until the weekend, but thanks for your help :)

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
2.0L, 2000

No leakage problems that I know of. Most recently I replaced the alternator and battery and a fuse for the radio. After replacing the alternator and battery everything was fine for a while. I removed the driver side door panel to replace the mirror control knob. I don't remember if I drove in the dark after taking the panel off...I don't think so, so I don't know if it stopped working before or after that. I took the panel off again to see if anything was disconnected in there but it all looks fine.

Unfortunately I don't have the tools or a garage (or even a driveway, love street parking...) to work on it again until the weekend, but thanks for your help :)
I'll try to pull what I think should be related wiring schematics, sounds like it's all the same circuit that is affected. Not sure what's going on with the shifter lights, but as I stated earlier, could all be related to a grounding problem. I'll also look and see where that circuit is grounded so you can maybe visually check that. I stay busy, so maybe drop me a p/m to remind me. Do you know how to use a multimeter? Do I need to walk you thru that? Bentley wiring schematics are a little tough to read (they are done a little differently than what we are used to), but if you need help, I should be able to do that also.

M.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello All,

Sorry for the late posting, hope this is not a dead thread. I was searching Google and ended up here.

I am seeing the exact same issue in my wife's new/old 1999. Any chance this was ever resolved?

Thanks,
CS

·
Registered
2 Posts
well i have exactly the same issues with my daughter 99 Beatle, dash lights not working and Parking lights are on and go off when i turn on the lights. anybody know where i should start? im thinking ground?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts