NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

After messing with the battery for a while (jumpstarting, replacing battery, several times and again etc) I noticed stereo stopped working and all instrument panel gauges weren't working.

Stereo was easy fix (blown fuse) but IP gauges are just dead.

I read with vag com the instrument panel data, everything is alive (speed, fuel level and tacho). However, when using the "output test" function, all lights and gongs worked but gauges didn't move.

Wouldn't be strange to have all three gauges die at the same time?

Anybody else had this problem?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
No idea what year or engine (it matters, sometimes), but check fuse position S22 & S23. It's possible, if while "messing" around, you had the vehicle running with the battery disconnected, OR had the vehicle running on the "jumper vehicle" that you fried some electronics. The tach, odometer, low fuel indicator light, are contained within control module J285

M.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
They could be, I didn't look that closely at the wiring diagrams. Both fuses service the J285 Contol Module. I'll have to look closer, they could be downstream of the CM, not upstream. They are, understand these are very difficult diagrams to read, not what we are used to with other cars.

What year and engine is your NB? It matters for the wiring diagrams, I took a shot at 2000, 2.0L I will take a closer look with the right information. I'll still stand by by thoughts that you have quite possibly fried part of the electronics with your "messing" around. But I'd certainly like any input from anyone else...

Here are much better fuse and relay guides -

Bentley Fuse & Relay Panels
Service Manual
http://newbeetle.org/forums/attachments/2-0-liter-gas/87567d1316930787-helping-friend-need-some-help-advice-fuses-panels-relays-panels-locations-bentley-service-manual.pdf
Repair Manual
http://newbeetle.org/forums/attachments/2-0-liter-gas/87566d1316930702-helping-friend-need-some-help-advice-fuses-panels-relays-panels-locations-bentley-repair-manual.pdf

M.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my car has 2.0 AEG engine with 01M trans. I will check your diagrams later today, but again, those two fuses service the lights, according to the diagram that came with the car. and I have no lighting problem...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
solved. Before any other kind of work I checked the fuses. Since I didn't really know which one is for the IP, I checked all of them visually to make sure.

but the bentley manual (thanks MyOtherRidesAVette for the link) showed actually only fuses 11 and 15 service the IP. so I checked those two with the ohm meter and surprise: one was bad.

So although the IP was getting input, it replacing the bad fuse (can't really tell which one) solved my problem.

thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Yep, found S11 on the upstream side serving J285 CM, still haven't found S15 in any circuit I've looked at.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts