NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have had a 2000 GSL 1.9l for the past year. It's in lovely shape and has been very well maintained over its whole life.
Recently the indicators on the instrument panel have been behaving crazily. They give me warnings for no good reason: oil light goes on but when I check, all is good. Next time it might be the emergency brake light, or the ABS or the battery. Sometimes a whole bunch of them at the same time.
Xmas lights in the middle of the summer!
Any suggestions? I am planning to sell the car soon and don't want to spend too much. But I also don't like ignoring warning signs ... thay might just tell the truth for a change :-(
Thank you.
Kerstin

·
Registered
11,627 Posts
The instrument clusters; are known, to fail and have all kinds of odd, random problems. They can be repaired; by many repair service places online, like BBAREMAN. Having said that; you might want to start with scanning the car for trouble codes and see, if anything shows up, that might, give you a clue, as to what is going on. You may have speedo cluster issue or you may not; scanning for trouble codes, is always, the first step in troubleshooting these modern cars. It would be preferable; to scan the car with a VW specific scan tool, like OBDeleven, VCDS or some of the less expensive VAG tools, that are sold online (ebay, amazon, etc).

Keep in mind; if you have ever had a charging problem or bad/failing battery, it can cause the car to "freak out" and make a bunch of different lights come on, in the speedo cluster. Because, there are so many, computers in these cars; when voltage gets low, all of these computers, cannot work correctly and many lights, can come on. You can assume, there are a bunch of random issues, going on, while in reality, your charging system is having problems or failing. When my batery and alternator were bad/failing, the speedo light were going off/on, flashing and random trouble lights came on. A long list of trouble codes; came up listing many computers, having probelms with low voltage.

You might start your troubleshooting process; by running by a auto parts store, have them do a full charging system check and scan the car for trouble codes. Most auto parts stores; will do this for free and doesn't take to long, to perform.

Let us know; what you find out. Thanks.

·
Registered
415 Posts
The only time I've seen my instrument cluster go waka-do was when my battery was low from Monsoon amp phantom drain. Not saying that's your exact issue, but affirming Billy's point about the charging system.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am new to this site but found this particular thread rather interesting. I had a 98 beetle that I had to abandon on site because not even the lovely folks at the VW dealership in Southern Maine (that is as specific as I am comfortable going) was able to diagnose let alone repair. They allege spending 10+ hours on it with no results. But symptoms were the same, cluster freaked out and car would turn over but not fire. Sad day. Loved that little car. 52 MPG highway, ugly as sin!!! What was not to love. LOL. I do miss it. I now have an 05 beetle (glutton for punishment I guess) that I love almost as much. I did get 46 MPG once......once about a year ago. I have only had it for 3 years and most of that has been short commute driving. But since then the mileage has been steadily albeit slowly, going down. Looking forward to digging through here and seeing if folks have had similar experiences and what their fixes may have been. Thank you to all who participate in this forum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts