VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1998 vw beetle my instrument panel hatch light is always on. Is the switch I must check in the hatch or down on the chassis part? I am thinking its on the hatch after taking panel off....am I correct? Its on no matter if its wet or dry.....thanks for any input!

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
The switch is on the hatch, under the black plastic cover for the latch.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The switch is on the hatch, under the black plastic cover for the latch.
OK....I got it....the latch must be bad....I unplugged it and it went out....guess I have to look for another latch....stupid little things like that bug me when not working right.lol....thank-you for you help!

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
If you are new to the New Beetle, the hatch can take quite a bit of force to latch properly. There are two latched positions, the first closes easily and won't allow the hatch to be pulled up again, but is not fully closed. The second fully latched position takes more force to reach. To close the hatch, I leave one of the doors open, raise it about a foot and then slam it down hard while pressing on it. It can take quite a bit of force to do.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you are new to the New Beetle, the hatch can take quite a bit of force to latch properly. There are two latched positions, the first closes easily and won't allow the hatch to be pulled up again, but is not fully closed. The second fully latched position takes more force to reach. To close the hatch, I leave one of the doors open, raise it about a foot and then slam it down hard while pressing on it. It can take quite a bit of force to do.
Red....you were dead spot on......you do have to slam it shut pretty hard lmao....something so simple! Thank-you again!.......the first position seemed like it was enough....but when its all the way shut you can notice the difference! Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts