VW Beetle Forum banner

Intake Manifold Gasket and Mounting Bolts

4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  swimbug 
#1 ·
In an effort to locate the tick-tick-ticking in my newly acquired '99 2.0 Supercharged AEG, I removed the engine cover to find a loose #1 spark plug wire and plug. After removal, gapping, and installation of the Autolite double platinum (new NGKs ordered), I noticed a broken manifold gasket (yellow box). Is this a "park it" until replaced item? Also, the manifold mounting bolts seem to be stripped (red arrows). Is this common? I need to get a manual for the Neuspeed Supercharger. I need to remove it the replace #2 & #3 spark plugs.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Ok, I had the same problems with my S/C doing both the same problems. #1 stripped bolts, buy stainless bolts 5 mm longer than stock ones and do not crank them down. #2 gasket, I made my own out of nylon, just because I was running higher boost. If you use rubber gasket, RTV silicone it on so the boost doesn't blow it out. #3 boost, check out pulleyboys.com and buy a smaller pulley and get more boost. You'll be able to tell the difference.
And no you don't have to remove the S/C to change the spark plugs. It's a PITA but can be done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.