NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my wife's car recently broke a timing belt at on 82,000 miles (Why so early?) so I'm looking at my options. I think only valve damage has occured, but if I can find a rebuilt head for cheap, I may go that route.

Only problem is I have come to find that there are many different head codes. The one I was looking at purchasing was from a 2002 GTI and is an AWP code. I think that the existing head is AHP or something like that.

The car is a 99' GLS 1.8T.

·
Faster Than Katrina
2,005 Posts
Your engine doesn't have the variable valve timing .... the AWP and AWW GTI engines do, you won't have the proper wiring harness or computer to handle this. The AWD GTI engine may have a similar head, I think it may have larger injectors also, but I can't say for sure if it will work. While you are changing the timing belt, change the water pump also. I have to do mine soon ... wanted to do it all at 60K but have put it off to 70K, I think 80K is the suggested interval.

I came across a link to a head shop with good prices recently ... lemme see if I can find it.

·
my turbo is bigger!!!!!!!
502 Posts
jsut rebuild the stock one... how many valves are bent??? aeb head is also an option... but u would need a new intake manifold

·
Registered
49 Posts
VW is crazy whith their recommended 105,000 mile timing belt change. MY 2000 VW 1.8T had it's timing belt break at 81,000 miles. Luckily I was not the owner at that time. The last owner spent $6000 replacing the engine after that... ($2800 for motor with 32,000 mi and $3200 for install).

VW should be liable due to the frequency thay suggest. I like VW but in some respects their engineering and maintenance recommendations are very incorrectr....

·
Auto X
46 Posts
roamerr said:
VW is crazy whith their recommended 105,000 mile timing belt change. MY 2000 VW 1.8T had it's timing belt break at 81,000 miles. Luckily I was not the owner at that time. The last owner spent $6000 replacing the engine after that... ($2800 for motor with 32,000 mi and $3200 for install).

VW should be liable due to the frequency thay suggest. I like VW but in some respects their engineering and maintenance recommendations are very incorrectr....
I really got lucky..
Mine snapped at 96K miles and at the time I was cranking down the highway. This USED to be covered by the 100K powertrain warrenty . VW was replacing so many, they issued a tech bulleten on them.
I was lucky enough to have it happen prior to release.

2 new pistons & rings, New head (Comes as one unit pre-assembled from VW, so new cams,valves,etc) -- repair cost = $0

On a modified engine -- I would go 65K miles to be safe

·
Registered
111 Posts
APH and AWD should be the same, however you want to reuse your beetle intake manifold if the head came from a GTI because the plumbing for vacuum/pcv is a bit different between beetle and gti intake manifolds. Pull the head and see whats wrong first... if there's minimal damage you can just bring the original head to a machine shop and they can probably fix it for less than what you'd spend on a junkyard head. Most times all that happens is the valve get bent and maybe some lifter damage... but from what i see the only times that serious piston damage occurs is if the belt snaps while revving high. There are always exceptions though.

·
20V GTRS
1,120 Posts
roamerr said:

I was not so lucky and my ripped the teeth off the belt at 52K and VW refused to warranty it because I had a different "muffler." I ended up replacing the head myself for under $2k. PITA but a good project. I had nicked all 4 pistons but when a compression check was ran, all four cyclinders were the same still (I got real lucky.) I managed to drive the car for abouth 26K till it got totaled.

·
Faster Than Katrina
2,005 Posts
NBTurboFreak said:
I was not so lucky and my ripped the teeth off the belt at 52K and VW refused to warranty it because I had a different "muffler." I ended up replacing the head myself for under $2k. PITA but a good project. I had nicked all 4 pistons but when a compression check was ran, all four cyclinders were the same still (I got real lucky.) I managed to drive the car for abouth 26K till it got totaled.
I hope it wasn't the nicked pistons blowing out that caused the wreck ... that pic I saw looked nasty. Note to self ... get another vehicle and park silver and change belt before 70K.

·
20V GTRS
1,120 Posts
It had nothing to do with the motor. The motor it still good except for the dried rotted hoses and need some seals replaced. I am planning to reuse the bottom end of it and stroke it to a 2.0 and put a large turbo kit on it.
The car got totaled due to the rear suspension was way too tight and took a corner hard and did not see a bump in the middle of it which caused the rear to hop over and put me into a spin. The car was totaled due to the frame only, all the rest would not have totaled it, and just had it paid off about 3 weeks before hand.

·
Too Many Dubs....
160 Posts
You can use the AWP head, just swap over the timing CHAIN tensioner from your old head. The VVT comes from the chain tensioner. I didnt actually do it, but I did buy a car with a bad belt, and at first all I could find was AWPs. I called a friend whos a tech at the dealer and thats what he told me. At the last minute I picked up a AWD engine with only 8k miles, and coincidentally the AWD doesnt have VVT either. I found that out after I stripped my old head to get the tensioner off and then I was like "hey, these damn things are both the same"..LOL

Also, when doing the belt, replace the timing belt tensioner!!! VW lists it as a damper or something, but its a hydraulic piston that pushes on the idler to keep the timing belt tight. Thats why these cars have timing belt failures, because the dampers age, and loosen the belt, the belt slips, and rips all the teeth off the belt at the crank.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts