NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my 2002 New Beetle 1.8T GLS about two weeks ago. Drove at night for the first time yesterday and had a strange problem with the interior dash lights.

The exterior lights come on automatically, but the interior never clicked on. I fiddled with the switch and turned on the brights, at which point the interior lights worked just fine. I figured it must be a brightness setting, so I turned the interior lights up as bright as they could go and switched the dial back to the regular lights. Interior lights went black. Fiddled with it again several times (while parked, don’t worry) and the problem kept happening.

No interior lights at any level with the regular headlights. Perfect and adjustable interior lights with the brights on.

Any thoughts or solutions? Going to take it to the mechanic soon for a check-up, but would love to know if this is some bizarre setting the previous owner might have set (Unfortunately, the car didn’t come with a manual, so I’m flying a bit blind.) or something more serious.

·
Ali's Dad
229 Posts
That is not a setting I am familiar with on a Bug. I would say that the switch is either bad - or the PO wired up something and screwed it up.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
First one I drove had the same problem had headlights but no dash lights thought I had a problem. Went to check the switch the next day and found this about the switch.
Edit_2012-10-29_2.JPG

Glad I found it before I started taking things apart.

Could also be a bad reostat for the dash dimmer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts