NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dashboard DIY painting like "Techno Blue" color.

Hello! I'm new in this forum :) I purchased my first NB (year 2000) some days ago, the interiors are awful, no, are terrible! But the machine was in pretty good condition so I bought it for a very good price (2,000 usd aprox) here in mexico that's cheap for a NB! :D.

This is what I'm talking about:

I sent it to the mechanics to do all services, but before, I disassembled the dashboard to take off the "soft cover" that had thousands of scratches (don't we all hate that softie-trash?) and paint it, but I think I got the wrong color... I wanted the color to be as close as possible to the color of my car (Techno Blue), I bought dupli color because that's what auto-zone ppl told me was the best... the color in the cap was perfect but this is what I got:

I want to paint it again with another brand, but I wanted some opinions, this dupli color looks like black. Any sugestions? I'm going to buy one can of Rust Oleum Gloss Brilliant Blue tomorrow because I can get it at Home Depot, anyone tried this before on dashboards? how about the color accuracy?

Thank you very much and sorry for the large post!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The original VW paint here is very expensive, may be an option for later. I don't know If can ask a specific color in spray, maybe in USA, I don't think there's that service here in México. :( Gonna ask in some paint shops anyways.

Thank you guys!

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
Well, they mix the paint and then, inject it into a empty spray can and that way, you don't have to use a body shop style spray gun. This is nice for small projects and you can use professional grade auto paint.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, they mix the paint and then, inject it into a empty spray can and that way, you don't have to use a body shop style spray gun. This is nice for small projects and you can use professional grade auto paint.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I called some paint shops today and none of them offers the service. I end up buying the Rust Oleum Gloss Brilliant Blue, I will post some images tomorrow when I paint it, today was all sanding and sanding! :)

·
99 white beetle
46 Posts
Hello! I'm new in this forum :) I purchased my first NB (year 2000) some days ago, the interiors are awful, no, are terrible! But the machine was in pretty good condition so I bought it for a very good price (2,000 usd aprox) here in mexico that's cheap for a NB! :D.

This is what I'm talking about:

I sent it to the mechanics to do all services, but before, I disassembled the dashboard to take off the "soft cover" that had thousands of scratches (don't we all hate that softie-trash?) and paint it, but I think I got the wrong color... I wanted the color to be as close as possible to the color of my car (Techno Blue), I bought dupli color because that's what auto-zone ppl told me was the best... the color in the cap was perfect but this is what I got:

I want to paint it again with another brand, but I wanted some opinions, this dupli color looks like black. Any sugestions? I'm going to buy one can of Rust Oleum Gloss Brilliant Blue tomorrow because I can get it at Home Depot, anyone tried this before on dashboards? how about the color accuracy?

Thank you very much and sorry for the large post!

If you primer before you paint, the color will show up as it is on the cap. Don't pay anyone to do it for you! Should be easy:) just get primer!

Xoxo -Kaylabug99

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you primer before you paint, the color will show up as it is on the cap. Don't pay anyone to do it for you! Should be easy:) just get primer!

Xoxo -Kaylabug99
I did use primer, but it seems duplicolor is really bad quality, it seems I'm having better results with Rust Oleum. Will post pictures when I finish :D

Thanks!! :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well,, after some fails (like ruining the paint because of dust and pollen) here is the final result with "Rust Oleum, Gloss Deep Blue", The paint coverage was amazing! I'm very happy with the result! It may be not perfect color match with the Techno Blue color but still love it :)

:D:D

PD. Photo is with flash, sorry but it was dark outside lol!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts