NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie, here with an '07 that belonged to my recently deceased father-in-law. We're trying to decide whether to keep or sell -- it's a fun little car -- and taking care of some maintenance needs, regardless.

Noticed that none of the interior lighting (except for the vanity lights) works, either in the "on when doors open" or fully "on" switch positions. Puddle/convenience light in both doors don't work, either. I thought it would be odd for ALL the bulbs to be shot, and haven't looked into replacement just yet.

I checked fuses first and those are all OK. Other convenience functions -- unlocking, windows bumping down a bit, locking and activating alarm, etc. -- work just fine.

Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
12,081 Posts
Always start with the basics, a simple circuit tester or multimeter; would confirm, if you are getting power, plus see if the bulbs are burnt out.

Electrical problems are common on these cars; other areas to check is the bad door lock modules (microswitches fail, solder joints on the circuit board crack) and the wiring harness from the. body to the door flexes, every time the door opens, closes. The wires eventually break and this can kill the power to the door but these can be repaired (solder/heat shrink tubing or use heat shrink, adhesive lined butt connectors).

So, you might pull the lights that aren't working; check the bulbs, power, grounds and look for bad parts, damaged wiring.

This type of troubleshooting, takes time, effort, you might look at wiring diagrams, check for trouble codes with a vw scan tool (codes are typically thrown for things; like a bad door lock module), test circuits/wires and visually inspect things for damage or it can even be something simple like something is unplugged.

Here is a diy; going over the door panel disassembly and replacement of the door lock module.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Patient still in diagnosis, but here's the odd thing: when the door's unlocked/locked with the key vs. the fob, everything works fine!

When using the fob, no interior lights and occasionally blows one of the fuses -- 10 amp, position #14. When that happens, none of the electrical consumers works (interior lights, window lifts, unlock/lock with the fob).

·
Registered
12,081 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was a bad driver's side door lock mechanism. All fixed....

Now I need to figure out how to get the two danged bulbs out of the courtesy light under the rear-view mirror! I have LEDs for replacement. I thought they should be a simple plug in like the vanity mirror lights or twist-and-turn, but evidently not. They're not budging.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Driver's door lock mechanism was not the issue, evidently. Replaced but still blowing the fuse.

Mechanic now says it's the switch that controls the interior lights...and thanks, VW: you can't simply replace the switch, the whole danged rear-view mirror must be replaced!

Waiting to see if this does the trick....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Been a while, but we have light! And time, but the temp display was coming and going and finally gone for good... after replacing the mirror TWICE. Mechanic said both mirrors checked out OK electrically, so we replaced the ambient temp sensor. Still nothing.

·
Registered
12,081 Posts
So, is the LCD in the rear view mirror; working at all or just not showing the ambient temps?

Location, of the Outside Temperature Sensor G17:

I'm not having luck finding it at the moment; however, there is a testing procedure, to confirm continuity of the wiring and testing at the G17 plug and the ecu, to confirm, wiring and ecu signal is good. The above service manual; does have wiring diagrams and other info; you just need to dig and find what you need.

I'm not totally clear; as to the current problems you are having at the current time but power, grounds and following the service manual testing procedures, should help?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts