NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This gets a little complicated, so please bear with me. Took my 2003 vert to the dealer because the interior lights in the bottom of the rearview mirror that are supposed to come on when the doors are opened were burned out. Also my time and temp display was flickering intermittently. They discovered that there was a bad fuse and loose wire in the temp module, but just put it back in because I didn't want to spend $400 (!) for a new one. They couldn't replace the bulbs under the mirror because they weren't in stock.
So since then, the module has stopped flickering, seemingly fixed. I still wanted to get the mirror bulbs replaced, but they told me that would involve removing the time/temp module as well as the mirror, and then the module might not work any more. Not wanting to risk this, I haven't replaced the bulbs.
So my question is, does replacing those bulbs in the underside of the mirror really require removing the time/temp module as well? Seems excessive to me, but then again, it is a Volkswagen. And I also don't want to risk messing up the display when the top is lowered and raised.
Should I just leave well enough alone and use my lighted visor mirrors when I need to read a map?
Thanks..

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yes, it's a VW dealer in Southern CA. I won't name it to protect the guilty. Ha!
Thank you for the input. I will check out your suggestion tomorrow. I don't imagine that the cars changed that much from 2003 to 2004. However, mine is a GLX with the self-dimming mirror. Would that make a difference?
Thanks..

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm baaack! So I got the lights cover off the bottom of the mirror, and now I need help getting the bulbs out. I've tried turning, and pulling, and turning and pulling at the same time. No luck. Is there a latch to press or something? I'm a do-it-myselfer, but not afraid to ask for help (obviously).
I just don't want to break anything.
Thanks..

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are two tiny bulbs in a black box that pulls out of the bottom of the mirror after I took the cover off. There are three connectors. This is just getting more complicated. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow and post it.
Thanks for all your input, I really appreciate it. Those LED's look cool, but not sure they'd work in mine.
Thanks again..

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, made some progress yesterday. My awesome boyfriend figured out that the bulbs turn then push out to the back of the box. Took pictures, but pixels too large to post. So just have to get the bulbs now and I'm done!
Thanks again..

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OMG, this just gets better and better, or maybe worse. First of all, the bulbs specified are 3.9W. Went to a different dealer, and when I plunked the bulb, and then the black box in front of them, they looked at it like it was going to bite their hands off. Consulting their magic screen, with the VIN in hand, their conclusion was that I had some random thing they'd never seen before, and that VW would recommend replacing the whole mirror. Seriously. They are going to call VW, and call me back.

I love my car, but sometimes I hate Volkswagen. I'm going to go to my regular dealer tomorrow, and see what they come up with when confronted by this mysterious black box. Replace the whole car?? Bwaaahaahaahaahaa!

·
Registered
228 Posts
OMG, this just gets better and better, or maybe worse. First of all, the bulbs specified are 3.9W. Went to a different dealer, and when I plunked the bulb, and then the black box in front of them, they looked at it like it was going to bite their hands off. Consulting their magic screen, with the VIN in hand, their conclusion was that I had some random thing they'd never seen before, and that VW would recommend replacing the whole mirror. Seriously. They are going to call VW, and call me back.

I love my car, but sometimes I hate Volkswagen. I'm going to go to my regular dealer tomorrow, and see what they come up with when confronted by this mysterious black box. Replace the whole car?? Bwaaahaahaahaahaa!
This sounds very odd to me, it maybe worth your effort to take a good picture and post it here and get some advice. This sounds like one trip to Pep Boys and a $1.99 light bulb set, not $400 estimates from 3 different stealerships :D

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, here's the latest... My dealer showed me on their magic screen that there is no replacement for either my little black box or the two light bulbs in it. Since the car is 9 years old, they just don't make or have the parts anymore. And yes, the solution is to replace the entire time/temp module and the mirror.
Unbelievable, dontcha think? I plan to try Pep Boys, and NAPA, etc., but I may also try salvage yards. You never know...
And the insanity goes on...

·
Registered
209 Posts
I would also like to see a picture of this mysterious light in a black box...
Post a picture you never know someone may have seen this or has a replacement idea.

We have a 2003 NBC also and it has the standard light in the mirror.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pictures

Here is the black box, and the tiny bulb that goes in it. The box is 2.5 inches wide, and is shown upside down to show the three connection points to the wires in the mirror. The bulbs are 5/8 inch. They push in from the back (underside) and turn with a screwdriver to lock in. I mentioned previously that the car is a GLX with the self-dimming mirror.

What the heck do I have here?

Thanks..

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts

·
Boogety Boogety
413 Posts
Just to add to this: Our '06 went in for an oil change, and I asked the dealership to fix my dome light bulbs under the mirror (among other niggly little cosmetic things). Idiots looked at me with a straight face and said it would require a complete mirror replacement, almost $600 with labor. Idiots... :mad:

So I went home and unsnapped the plastic lens with a small screwdriver (gently), leading to a secondary clear lens that fell out in my hand, and a double-reflector thing the consistency of heavy-duty aluminum foil, and the above-pictured black rectangular bulb holder. Upon inspection, the two little bulbs unscrew out with a flat-bladed screwdriver turning them 1/4 turn c'clockwise. Took the two bulbs to the dealer... :rolleyes:

...where the parts guy spent ten minutes trying to find them, because the parts diagram cleverly avoids showing them. The clever parts guy then said he would investigate and call me back, which he did within ten minutes: It's a special order bulb, and he would order two which would be in in two days. I said sure. Right around $5.50 each. :D

Here's the info, in case anyone wants to order the things:

On my way out, I met with the service manager, showed him the bulbs, and watched him sputter an apology for a good while while I just glared at him silently. ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi, I've been tying to get the cover off my interior light so I can replace bulb but I'm not having any luck. How did you remove the cover ?

·
Beetle Cabrio Driver
54 Posts
small world. So noticed about a week ago the "time" light started to flicker. It's as bright as the "temp" light on start up but then it will fade. Eventually goes out.

aside from this, rear brake light bulb was replaced last summer. Radio dash lights stopped working but that had something to do with the radio. Meanwhile 10 year old Honda CRV still has every single bulb working like new. Still a million times more fun than the CRV.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts