NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay folks, it's been a while since I've seen the thread regarding a company that made the top center dash covers, NOT the entire top of dash, but the replacement covers that one can have painted in the same color as the exterior of the bug. When I first bought Henry back in 2007, I thought about getting a set, but something else came up...possibly a new part for my hot rod. That being said, anyone recall the company?

I know there are some of you who have painted your own, but I don't want to deal with all of that scuffing, prepping and painting stuff...just want it "done."

Any help or pointing in the correct direction will be greatly appreciated.

Jerry

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good try, but not the covers I was referring to. Hmmm, tough to describe. Let me try once again. The covers to which I refer are the three covers that are in the "center" of the dash. One surrounds the center vents/radio/heating controls; the other is just above it and likewise the third. The top most cover is where one has the in cab filter...if you are in Canada or have an earlier NB. They "slope" up the center of the dash from above the shifter right up to the window.

I know they were on this site, but this was back in '07 around the time I bought Henry. I just don't want to have to deal with removing the "rubbery" feeling surface and all the rest of the prep work that goes with.

Jerry

·
Dubbed Spiderman
2,830 Posts
Correct, the upper most center panel needs to be removed for the in cabin air filter. The filter is actually under the PS panel that I referred to. Anyway, there is a smaller panel near the windshield otherwise the center one with the vents, is one whole piece including the vents. It can't be a cheap part to buy. Not sure if you would want to buy that separately just to pull the rubber off anyway. Any piece that you buy will have that on there. There is a separate piece on the bottom below the AC controls that has the heated seat controls and such, but again, that has it on there too. :(

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, Mr. Opel,

Funny thing is when I saw these parts for sale, they weren't inexpensive, but now wish I would have bought the set. Just too much black on the dash. My exterior color is Laser blue and it sure would look good to have that Laser Blue going up the center of the dash...just to break up all the black.

Thank you for your input. by the way, been a while since I've been to Woodstock. Nice area. I used to live in Waukegan, Il. while I was in the Navy Band at Great Lakes, Il. arrived there in 1981, retired in 1987. Went to College of Lake County...graduated in 1989; couldn't find a gig in my major, so I took the post office examine and became a Letter Carrier. Moved up to the Green Bay, WI area in 1994. Retired form there in 2004. But this is more info than you were expecting. :)

Maybe I'll do some archiving and see if I can locate that thread.

Jerry

·
Dubbed Spiderman
2,830 Posts
Jerry you are right about too much black in the interior. That Laser Blue would look great! :cool: Hope you can find the parts you are looking for. :D

I grew up in Arlington Heights. Moved there when I was 1 from Coral Springs FL. I know the whole Chi-town area well. I love it out here in Woodstock. Nice old country town and not crazy far away from Chicago or Milwaukee for that matter. My neighbor is from Milwaukee and a Packer fan and with me being so close to the border, I have to deal with the Cheeseheads often. :p My neighbor is my best friend, BTW. ;) That's probably more than you were looking for too. LOL! Don't know if you are willing to come out this way for a show, but on September 18th, there is VW-Fest at Anderson VW in Crystal Lake. I'll be there and it would be cool if you could make it too! :cool:

Joel

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yeah, Mr. Opel,

Funny thing is when I saw these parts for sale, they weren't inexpensive, but now wish I would have bought the set. Just too much black on the dash. My exterior color is Laser blue and it sure would look good to have that Laser Blue going up the center of the dash...just to break up all the black.

Thank you for your input. by the way, been a while since I've been to Woodstock. Nice area. I used to live in Waukegan, Il. while I was in the Navy Band at Great Lakes, Il. arrived there in 1981, retired in 1987. Went to College of Lake County...graduated in 1989; couldn't find a gig in my major, so I took the post office examine and became a Letter Carrier. Moved up to the Green Bay, WI area in 1994. Retired form there in 2004. But this is more info than you were expecting. :)

Maybe I'll do some archiving and see if I can locate that thread.

Jerry

I know exactly what you are talking about and I've been looking for the same thing for our green '01 Beetle. Let me know if you have any luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts