VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
The Leo Bug
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i am currently doing the inside parts of my car and I have tried both Acetone and a degreaser called Purple Power. the acetone worked ok, but not as good as the Purple Power. I soaked the parts over night and just used a scrub pad to wipe it off. It works like a charm!! The best thing for it. Here are some pics of what i've done so far.
Not the best photo. It looks better in person, but you get the idea.
This is what it looks like.

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,856 Posts
Nice paint work:bigthumb:

And yes, the purple power works very well. I used it for removing the rubbery stuff off the lower dash of Cup.

Great work. I hope to see you at a central FL GtG sometime soon where I can see your handy work in person:)

·
rawr
36 Posts
Awesome! I'll have to find some of that purple power!

Did you find that it discolored the parts after you soaked them? Or did they stay the original color?

I want to remove the crappy rubber coating from all the parts that are peeling, but I don't want to paint them...

·
Super Moderator
20,856 Posts
I didn't soak mine as leopard queen did- just spray, let soak for a few minutes then scrubbed off with a scotch brite (green) pad.

You'll find that underneath the rubbery gunk, is color-matched plastic. As in my case, tan rubbery gunk (lower door panels, lower dash), matching tan plastic.

That's what was like on my end. Leopard queen will have to chime in on her account:).

·
The Leo Bug
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After soaking the parts for a little bit, it didn't discolor them at all. I did notice that they really don't have to soak that long, but i do think it helps a little better. I don't think i had a coarse enough scrub pad, so i think that was my problem. I tried just spraying it on there and it didn't really do anything. Remember to wear gloves while doing this too!

·
The Leo Bug
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Scarab! I'll have to check that out one day! where would i get info about when and where that takes place?
BTW- this is my first time doing any kind of paint job and i got a lot of criticism from my husband. He didn't think i could do it :p I'm glad it turned out good. :)

·
Super Moderator
20,856 Posts
Thank you Scarab! I'll have to check that out one day! where would i get info about when and where that takes place?
BTW- this is my first time doing any kind of paint job and i got a lot of criticism from my husband. He didn't think i could do it :p I'm glad it turned out good. :)
I'll PM you on the GtG details- it's still in the works.

And hubby better watch out... He'll be addicted to modding beetles like we are. Many a beetle spouse who criticize become some of the biggest fans and participants:)

·
Registered
307 Posts
another easy way to get that gunk off is this method i came up with, i use denatured alcohol in a spry bottle, soak the area you want off then use a plastic razor blade on it. yanks it right off.

·
rawr
36 Posts
I didn't soak mine as leopard queen did- just spray, let soak for a few minutes then scrubbed off with a scotch brite (green) pad.

You'll find that underneath the rubbery gunk, is color-matched plastic. As in my case, tan rubbery gunk (lower door panels, lower dash), matching tan plastic.

That's what was like on my end. Leopard queen will have to chime in on her account:).
Oh nice!

My interior is black and gray so the pieces that are colored are black under the rubber. I'm so sick of the rubber gunk! It's been scratched since I bought the car used, and I'm getting tired of looking at it.

Thank you for the tips! :D

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
I am doing my door panels at the moment, been putting it off but can't stand it anymore:( The Purple Power does indeed do a great job, I am also using the plastic razor blade and the green scrubbie. I know it's a big project since it all has to come off.

My question is for anyone that did the door panels. What did you do when you got to the net area. I don't think I want to spray the Purple there right? I know it is a separate piece. Does anyone know where to cut the plastic welds so you don't mess up the whole thing. Or is the purple safe to get on that?

Any incite here appreciated, I'm not afraid to cut and glue :D

Tracy

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
My question is for anyone that did the door panels. What did you do when you got to the net area. I don't think I want to spray the Purple there right? I know it is a separate piece. Does anyone know where to cut the plastic welds so you don't mess up the whole thing. Or is the purple safe to get on that?

Any incite here appreciated, I'm not afraid to cut and glue :D

Tracy
There is a flat metal bar that goes behind the net, it actually goes through the top of the net and is held in place by hooks either end of it. PITA !!

Just to the right of #14 you can see it pretruding. Then you have to snap the plastic welding joints, i used a flathead screwdriver. To get the plastic part behind the net that holds things in the pocket off.

I was going to put Goldfish tanks in those pockets on mine, you can just see the
perspex fronts :rolleyes:

But ended up going down the route of just replacing the net :)

It really is an understatement if your going to try and get the rubber coating off that plastic pocket. I don't think you need to take off the net if your just taking off the pocket as it sits on top of the bar. But your door panel will be off for a LONG time ;)

I've put the part numbers up incase you break anything :)

I almost left the door handle like this :lol:

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Hey Blugg, thanks for the comeback. Beautiful work there, jeez, wish I was young and really enthused :D, but I am just looking to get the junk off and have it be presentable and not feel like carp. I think I may just have to see how well I can do without taking the net area out. I was just finishing up the PS panel except for the net area and it looks good. I may have to punt here and do what I can do. The net area on the DS is almost all worn off as it is, so that will be a little easier. Thanks for the pix, appreciate it

Tracy

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Hey Blugg, thanks for the comeback. Beautiful work there, jeez, wish I was young and really enthused :D, but I am just looking to get the junk off and have it be presentable and not feel like carp. I think I may just have to see how well I can do without taking the net area out. I was just finishing up the PS panel except for the net area and it looks good. I may have to punt here and do what I can do. The net area on the DS is almost all worn off as it is, so that will be a little easier. Thanks for the pix, appreciate it

Tracy
If your going to spray it, make sure you get as much of that 3M gum stuff off as you can, as the paint will react and bubble with it. Darn horrible stuff. A much easier way, is to get hold of a can of upholstery spray glue, spray the Bug part and the material, wait until both parts become tacky and hey presto !! Looks and feels so much better :D

Good Luck :)

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
No Spray or anything. The finish is nice once you get the junk off, it has a texture and for me with a black door panel it's fine. It also seems a bit inconsistently applied. Some areas come off easier than others. I just have the net area to finish on the PS and then put the armrest panel back in. I should get it all done in a couple months since weekends are the only time I have. Not bad doing all of it, it's just you really need to pull it all to do a decent job :( I'm not so good at contorting myself in the small spaces anymore, I really look forward to pulling the center console again ...not! It'll be worth it :rolleyes:

·
Everett Street in May
3,207 Posts
Blugg interior is looking great, really like the colors!!!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Blugg interior is looking great, really like the colors!!!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
That was my Old Bug ;)
Waiting for Summer next year, to do the New Alaskan Green Bug
In a just as suitably outrageous color ;)
Playing with the TDi engine over the winter/spring :)
Here's an old photo of the old Bug's interior :)

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Did you find that outrageous color you were looking for in leather? :p :cool: :D
This :confused:

Found out yesterday, my Trimmer can only
get it, in vinyl. Or if i want leather, it will have
to be a special order. So probably going to
get it in vinyl. But he says it's easier to work
with, so should cost less to do the interior :)

Although not set on it yet, may go for cream
and darker dark green :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts