NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen lots of different pictures where people have painted their interior trim pieces, such as the center part of the dash, around the speedometer, etc. I'm pretty good with painting, but I wanted to know if anyone else out there has done this themselves. Looking to see if I can do it as a DIY job, how much paint I would need, any tips, etc. I know that I can get the correct color paint from paintsratch.com, just not sure how much to buy.

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
i've done this. check pics in my sig. my tips? sandpaper..wet/dry, lots of paint, lots of clear, lots of patience, lots of LIGHT coats and let them dry in between coats. The trim pieces have a black coating on many of them that will inhibit paint quality aka bubbling. Any questions? I'll be happy to answer.

·
M16S VW & VW53HRB
512 Posts
Yeah just make sure you sand off all of the top coat on the parts you want to paint. If you don't, it'll react with the primer and go all weird!

And as above, lots of light coats. Don't be tempted to stick 1 thick coat on and get away with it.

*Lucy*

·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts
I painted my own dash pieces as well.

The key really is to get that rubberized junk off. I used a bit of acetone and then washed the pieces several times with dawn and hot water.

Then I sanded and rubbed it down with denatured alcohol and let it dry overnight.

This gave me a very factory looking finish... actually some would say better than factory. :D

·
the wrong way, but faster
65 Posts
so like, the pieces as mentioned above, where the stereo head and vents are, sand those down too? i have an '01 and there isn't the junk on it like there is on the door handles, but the center console pieces would have to be sanded down too?

·
I love my family!
2,887 Posts
Lightly sand anything before you paint. Also a good idea is to prep the surface with alcohol and a lint free rag to get rid of oils and contaminants. The center console has two screws hidden behind the radio...

·
the wrong way, but faster
65 Posts
hmmm, i've done old school body painting, but yeah... interior and plastic is a new world man... but we're not talkin highly abrasive orbital sanders here right? talkin more like a 200 grit run over with the hands right? then a scrub with some acetone for a couple seconds then prime right?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts