VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Thank you for reading.
I had 2 times a situation where the car had not started after a quick drive to a coffee place or a job. The symptoms was, The car cranked, ignition worked but I had no acceleration, no real effect on the thottle, and the rpm was very very low and not steady limit stalling.
I had to towed it the first time, and then after the tow truck left, the car had started right away. Then the second time, I left the car at my client for the night and it started right away in the morning so I was able to take it at my place and since I didn't drive it yet but it start righ away when I try it but don't want to drive it and afraid to be stuck again. so I remember then a week before, I had cleaned the inside of the hood with light water, and also I had run on a low gas tank for a day or 2, then of course had a full gas tank since.
So, Do you have any ideas where to start checking, I bought a new gas filter to change, and some maf cleaner but have not done any thing yet.
Thank you.
The car is a new beetle, 2liters, 2000 and I have 115000 miles..
Patrick.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
What is your three letter engine code? Sounds to me like the throttle body if you have drive-by-wire. Maybe you got water in the electrical connectors.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
You didn't mention the check engine light. Is it on? If so, get the codes read.

The ignition coil pack is a fairly common problem for the 2.0. With the engine idling, try misting the coil and ignition cables with a water spray bottle. It shouldn't cause any change in the idle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't remember if I saw any check engine light when this happened, the situation is that at the moment I don't use the car until I can figure what has caused this intermittent problem ( happened 2 times)
for now without driving the car, when I start the car, it start right away.
so do you tell me to vaporize moisture around the coil Pack? while the engine is running properly?
and if no thing cheapened, it would mean that the coil pack is fine?, not sure I understand, Thank you very much for helping.

Ps, I am suppose to drive 800 miles in 10 days and don't want to get stuck in the middle after stopping the car and trying to start it..
P

1 - 6 of 6 Posts