NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
thinktank24
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys

I have 2002 1600 beetle automatic. [33,000 miles] It is well serviced maintained etc. It starts and runs smoothly, However, Recently it is occasionally stalling when i am at traffic lights. When i start it up again it runs but not as smoothly and i get two yellow lights on dash, [exhaust emissions lambda probe] and [ ESP electronic stability programme]. However after switching engine off for some time both these lights are out when i restart, and dont come on untill the next time the car decides to stall on idle at the lights.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
The "exhaust emissions lambda probe" is more commonly known (at least in the States) as the Oxygen sensor. The forward Oxygen sensor is probably starting to fail. If you could get the car scanned for the DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) and post those it will help.

I'm not sure about the ESP light. I don't think it is related. Could be a anti-lock brake wheel speed sensor.

·
thinktank24
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thankyou Red 99

I will get that checked out.
BTW i naively thought it could be coil? no way?

Anyway thanks so much for taking the time to reply to my thread. And giving me some technical support.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
You're welcome, thinktank24.

It doesn't sound like the symptoms for a coil, but the trouble codes will tell for sure. Over here some auto parts stores will read the trouble codes for free.

BTW, what is a "1600", I don't think we have those over here.

·
thinktank24
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 1600 refers to engine size [1600cc]

I'm just wondering if i go to a garage and there are no warning lights on at that time. Will it still give a diagnostic code? Or does it just do that if there are warning lights on?

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
If the warning light was on there should be an error codes stored.

I looked at VW's European website and saw that there used to be a 1.6 liter gas engine. There is even a 1.2 now. In the US the two gas engines available now are the 2.5 and 2.0 turbo, so we are kind of going in the opposite direction.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Hi guys

I have 2002 1600 beetle automatic. [33,000 miles] It is well serviced maintained etc. It starts and runs smoothly, However, Recently it is occasionally stalling when i am at traffic lights. When i start it up again it runs but not as smoothly and i get two yellow lights on dash, [exhaust emissions lambda probe] and [ ESP electronic stability programme]. However after switching engine off for some time both these lights are out when i restart, and dont come on untill the next time the car decides to stall on idle at the lights.

Any ideas?
Have it scanned for codes. Unfortunately VW does not offer the smaller engines here in the states. They think anything under 2.0 liters is unacceptable to us chaps. ;)
If I had to guess it could very well be your Crankshaft positioning sensor. It is prone to failure and does follow the symptoms that you are experiencing. If you have an Autoparts place that could scan your vehicle for codes and if you could post these codes that would be very helpful.
Thank you and Have a great day in the UK. ;)

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
had it scanned

You were right, Crankshaft sensor fault. So its into the garage on monday!

Cheers guys
Not sure what your prices are on aftermarket parts but you can save the labor by doing it yourself. The part itself shouldn't be more than 20 to 40 quid but the labor is what gets you. Sensor shouldn't take more than 45 minutes to replace if you do it yourself. Not sure what the garage is going to charge. Could be that the UK service shops are more fair than the US counterparts. ;) Either way, Good Luck and have a great weekend!

Cherios. :D

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,855 Posts
Have it scanned for codes. Unfortunately VW does not offer the smaller engines here in the states. They think anything under 2.0 liters is unacceptable to us chaps. ;)
If I had to guess it could very well be your Crankshaft positioning sensor. It is prone to failure and does follow the symptoms that you are experiencing. If you have an Autoparts place that could scan your vehicle for codes and if you could post these codes that would be very helpful.
Thank you and Have a great day in the UK. ;)
looks like you to beat me to the punch. :lol:

I have had the same issue with my beetle. The ol CKP sensor. glad you found the solution. Much success to you buddy!

had it scanned

You were right, Crankshaft sensor fault. So its into the garage on monday!

Cheers guys

Sent from my SGH-T679 using AutoGuide App

·
thinktank24
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just an update

New crankshaft sensor fitted at VW approved garage. Cost £140 plus vat.

I thought that was pretty good considering the part cost £82. They only use genuine parts. And they checked all the wiring to the sensor.

Car purring nicely now. Thanks for your help guys.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
just an update

New crankshaft sensor fitted at VW approved garage. Cost £140 plus vat.

I thought that was pretty good considering the part cost £82. They only use genuine parts. And they checked all the wiring to the sensor.

Car purring nicely now. Thanks for your help guys.
Excellent! Glad you got her all taken care off. :bigthumb::bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Happy to hear it was an easy fix. Keep on buggin :cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts