NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car: 2002 Beetle, 2.0L, 4 speed automatic
About once every month or two, my wife's beetle fails to start on firts try. It takes 3 or 4 attemts, after that it starts and runs as if nothing is wrong.
History: This Spring the car would not crank, it was the Transmition Safety Switch. While debugging I replaced the Start relay and cleaned all ground and power connectors and reset all connectors, including the ones under the dash where the computer modules are. The computer connectors were also cleaned and lubricated.
Later this year I also replaced both O2 sensors, spark plugs and thermostat, hoping to make the intermittent fail to start go away - one of the O2 sensors was defective.
The car does run real nice, it starts immidiately, except when it decides to "pout", it did this last year also, so all of the work I did on the car so far had no effect.
Any suggestions would be appreciated, thank you in advance.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your update.
It happened to me once, the car started on 4th attempt.
I did not notice any unusual activity for lights on the dash.
I checked for error codes when I got home, none were captured.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Red99, thank you.

I was watching the extended readings on the analyser and noticed that the 2 speed sensors do not report the same rpm of the engine, can this be a conformation that one of the sensors is not good?
Since the sensors are digital, I would expect the rpm reading to be identical from both.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
One of the sensors is the input speed for the transmission. The one on the side of the crankcase is the one that is used by the ECU to set the timing of the engine, so it is the only one that will affect how the engine runs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts