VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I wonder if anyone could give me some ideas. My 1.6L Beetle initially developed an issue where it occasionally became hard to start. Initially seemed like if it had been started 4 times in a day the 4th would be difficult. But it started and still ran ok.
The issue developed further after I went through a car wash and now it cuts out intermittently while driving. Then it wont restart until left several minutes.

I had it looked at the first shop (they towed it in) and replaced relay 429.
It worked ok on the drive home and the next day before it cut out again.
I called the RAC and the breakdown guy said “crank sensor” and seemed convince. Had it taken to a different shop, they installed the crank sensor, but it cut out on them after.
They did some extensive road testing testing the following week and it was ok after that and they were going to have me collect it today. But it happened again as they were moving it from the yard so they have now kept it for further investigation.

Both shops and the breakdown couldn‘t find any trouble codes when connecting diagnostics. There has been no check engine light at any time.
When it cuts out, radio and electrical systems still continue to function.
I believe the relay was a genuine VW part and the new crank sensor was Bosch.
Fuel pressure has been checked and ok as has spark plugs etc..
Tire Wheel Car Volkswagen new beetle Vehicle

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
Looking, at live data and being able to read trouble codes with a vw specific scan tool, would be helpful.

Lately, we seem to be seeing; dying fuel pumps, causing hard and no start issues. Hooking, up a fuel pressure gauge and confirming pressure; when the intermittent problem occurs, has been a good way, to see if the fuel pump is malfunctioning.

Some have hooked up the fuel pressure gauge; tie wrapped it, to the windscreen wiper arm and that way, it is visible, when you are driving, inside the car.

Intermittent problems, can be a challenge to diagnose; the key, can be to view things, (like scan tool live data; fuel pressure), when the problem, occurs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts