NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a 2000 Beetle, 2.0 with 128,000 miles. Recently an intermittent squeak has developed on the engine in the area of the top left side of the engine, near where the cam gear is. The noise is intermittent, kind of like the sound a cricket makes (squeak-squeak-squeak, etc) rather than a continuous squeak.

It only happens on cold start up. It doesn't happen while the engine is cranking, but it starts as soon as the engine starts. It lasts only about a minute and then fades away.

Anyone else had this happen? If so, what was it and how did you fix it?

Thanks.

JB

·
Super smart senior member
857 Posts
Hello all,

I have a 2000 Beetle, 2.0 with 128,000 miles. Recently an intermittent squeak has developed on the engine in the area of the top left side of the engine, near where the cam gear is. The noise is intermittent, kind of like the sound a cricket makes (squeak-squeak-squeak, etc) rather than a continuous squeak.

It only happens on cold start up. It doesn't happen while the engine is cranking, but it starts as soon as the engine starts. It lasts only about a minute and then fades away.

Anyone else had this happen? If so, what was it and how did you fix it?

Thanks.

JB
When was the last time your timing belt was changed? When the belts go bad they get brittle and hard and squeek when the tensioner tensions the belt, when they warm up, the squeak stops.

It could also be the tensioner itself squeaking.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I replaced the timing belt, tensioner, water pump, thermostat, accessory belt, accessory belt tensioner back in February 2011.
Everything was fine then after startup, and running it since then. This just popped up a couple of weeks ago, 5 months after everything was replaced.

Today, I removed the top timing belt cover and looked at the adjusment marks for the timing belt tensioner and noticed that the mark has moved slightly from the center of the notch on the tensioner. When I replaced the belt and tensioner back in February, I adjusted the tensioner mark so it was right in the middle of the notch. Maybe this is causing the problem?

I am going to re-adjust the timing belt tensioner and post my findings.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I adjusted the timing belt tensioner so the marks are perfectly aligned. Started it up and it did exactly the same thing. Might have to get one of those automotive stethoscopes to determine exactly where the sound is coming from. Baffled on this one.

JB

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took off the accessory belt also just to inspect it for cracks, etc. even though it was brand new in February 2011. On another forum, someone suggested removing the accessory belt and doing the start up and run without the accessory belt for a short time to see if makes the noise. I might try that tomorrow to eliminate or confirm that it's the accessory belt.

JB

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just curious Blaupunkt....how many miles did you have when you first changed your timing belt? I might have to do mine soon but I'm not sure...I'm at 90,000 miles. I don't know when I'm supposed to change it.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,076 Posts
Change it. 60-80k is normal for most on here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Today I removed the accessory belt and did a cold startup and exactly the same noise was detected. That pretty much eliminates the accessory belt, tensioner and all the pulleys involved as a cause of the noise. The noise still seems to be coming from the timing belt tensioner and cam gear area, but I can't seem to pinpoint exactly where it's coming from.

As I said in my original post, I replaced the timing belt, tensioner, water pump, accessory belt and tensioner back in February 2011. I had 127,864 miles at the time. The reason that I replaced everything was that the water pump was leaking, so I replaced everything "while I was in there". The timing belt and tensioner were previously replaced at 70,000 miles. I currently have 127,864 miles. This new timing belt tensioner is only 5 months old and has 1,324 miles on it. Everything was fine until a few weeks ago when this noise suddenly popped up. Maybe it's nothing. Could the bearings on the tensioner be going bad? Anyone else had a tensioner go bad this quick? Not sure what to try next.

JB

·
Registered
6 Posts
hey man been having the same problem with my wifes 2003 vert changed all the parts back in Dec 2010 about a month ago went to get it out of the garage and herd the noise by the time i opened the hood and went looking it was gone (wife said its been doing this about 2 months i said thanks wife:rolleyes: ) got a email into germanautoparts.com and they are sending me a whole new kit will let you know if this is the fix to replace all the parts i think its just the Tensioner but they are sending the whole kit and this time i plan on replacing the cam seal

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Today I got one of those automotive stethoscopes to try and pinpoint where this noise is coming from. I found that it is definitely coming from the timing belt tensioner. Next question, is this noise a big deal? Tomorrow I'm going to talk to ECS Tuning (where I got the tensioner) and see if they've had any problems with this brand of tensioner and what they recommend.

JB

1 - 12 of 12 Posts