VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is 1999 2.0 Aeg engine. I would have multiple misfires intermittently. Sometimes would come with code 00671. So I cleaned the throttle body and did an adaption using VCDS. Car will run ok for awhile then it misfires again. Thinking maybe the throttle body itself was bad, I swapped it out with the one I saved from my old engine which was working fine. Same intermittent problems. Sometime misfires come with adaption limit reached code, I can’t remember the number, and sometimes I get the code 00671. If I do an adaptation, the problem immediately goes away and comes back at random. Today on the way to work I simply cleared the codes out when it started misfiring and was fine the rest of the drive. My cruise control hasn’t worked for awhile. I believe the switch is bad on the stalk. Is it possible the cruise control switch is causing intermittent TB problems? I should also note that the MAF I replace recently with OEM. I check that to see if it was dirty but it was clean.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,304 Posts
Can you post all the code numbers you get when this happens?

Looks like that 00671 code is for the cruise control
00671 - Cruise Control Switch (E45)
27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you post all the code numbers you get when this happens?

Looks like that 00671 code is for the cruise control
Today I got the 00671, 16684, 16685, 16688

·
5/23/10 <3
11,304 Posts

·
Registered
15,156 Posts

I have had this trouble code; come up in the past. the cruise control switch on the combo/lever, was intermittently losing its settings.

I got some spray electronic cleaner; sprayed it, into the switch and worked the switch, in its various positions, the rocker up/down and the switch, in the on/off position. The switch contacts, had gotten dirty and after cleaning; the functionality was restored, things worked fine again, trouble code cleaned, never came back.

This is the cleaner I use; good price @ Walmart or higher, at most auto parts stores, hardware or home improvement stores.

PRODUCT No. 05103 CRC QD® ELECTRONIC CLEANER, 11 WT OZ

·
Registered
15,156 Posts
I believe, that if you are having issues with the throttle body adaptation and a related error code, the cruise control, can stop working or drop out of functionality, when the error pops up.

For the throttle body, we have seen; issues, where the plug and terminal ends to it, are broken or the terminals are old, getting loose, causing a intermittent connection problem. A new plug and terminal wires spliced in; to repair the harness, has been a solid fix for some, who struggle with this issue. Read more about this problem and the ultimate fix here:

As to the maf issues; you might read live data and see, if it is in spec.

Misfires, can be caused by a number of issues; which typically, narrow down to ignition problems or fuel delivery issues. You might check your fuel trims and see, if they are in normal range (typically + or - 10%). Read more from the ross tech site:

For the intermittent misfire issue; you might want to turn on the "misfire counter" in VCDS and see, if you can move the spark plug wires, to see, if that affects the amount of misfires it records.

A particularly common issue with the 2.0L; is misfires, from a coil pack that has hairline cracks on the back of the case. You can try this "spray test"; to introduce water, at the coil pack or spark plug wires, to see, if it makes the problem worse.

Beyond that, you might pull the spark plugs and take a look at them, see what condition, they are in.

As you can see, there can be a number of issues and factors, causing the type of problems, you are describing.

Many times, it can be the case; that you are having MULTIPLE problems, from a severely neglected car and you need to work through, each issue, to narrow things down and as you mark each problem off the list, the engine starts running better, eventually solving the drivability issue(s).

Please, start working on things; testing, reporting back your results and we can discuss things more, as you do a process of elimination and hopefully, find the problem, get your car running at its best! Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts