NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having problems with my girlfriends 04 2.0L
A few months ago we noticed the blue coolant temp light was coming on more
Often, we live in Australia and it's summer so even in winter it is not cold.
Lately we have trouble starting it at first I thought fuel pump, checked it was getting fuel fine.
As I used to be a mechanic, now in railway electrical I don't have scan tools at to assist.
So the at will crank for around 5 seconds atleast 4 or 5 times, I haven't been constantly holding the starter on as I haven't wanted to flatten the battery but all up after around 30 seconds it will start, a bit of smoke, will have low idle and labor a bit while still stationary and not allowing me to bring the revs up with my foot on the accelerater.
After another 15 - 20 seconds it normalizes and we don't have a problem for a few days.
Have ruled out bad fuel and what not as we run premium and true from different gas stations with no change in result.
I have read a little about the coolant temp sensors causing this or the cold start sensor.
Would this model being 04 and petrol have a cold start system. Or is that just for diesal.
Any help would be great.
:)

·
Registered
758 Posts
Scan for codes and report them here.

If the light stays blue longer than it should, I'd start looking at coolant temperature sensor first. Also, I'd double check the coolant level and make sure the coolant is flowing properly throughout. If the water pump is working properly, you should see flow in the reservoir when it is running. If it's not flowing, suspects could be water pump or clogged lines (other threads here talk about the little line going into the reservoir getting clogged).

Also, have you performed the water pump/thermostat/timing belt replacement yet? Since it's an '04, I'd have expected that service to have been done at least once by now. How many miles/years are on the current timing belt/water pump?

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
The temperature sensors do tend to fail often, and fail in a way that keeps the blue light on, but I doubt that it is causing your starting problems. If the thermostat is more than 5 years old it should probably be replaced as well to make sure the engine is getting to operating temperature.

In '04 the North American New Beetles would have a drive-by-wire throttle body. Not sure if they would in Australia, but probably so. It sounds to me like the throttle body is not working correctly. Make sure all the wiring to it looks in good condition first.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts