VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
SC Bug
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 diesel automatic Beetle with 197k miles. Been having problems when shifting in reverse or drive, with my foot on the brake it jerks and the dash lights start flashing. I can shut it off and try again and it's normal. It will do this almost every time. Have it in a shop and their computer states: "Internal Gear Not Engaging". But it's not something they want to deal with. Any suggestions, without having to take it to a dealership?? They scare me because of trust issues. Thanks.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,265 Posts
Do you have the actual code number that came up?

·
SC Bug
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Code #P-2711 “Unexpected Mechanical Gear Disengagement”. The repair guy said it’s probably the transmission but it’s not something he can do. And on this type of car it could be 2-3 thousand dollars!! I’m heart broken. ?.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,265 Posts
19143/P2711/010001 - Ross-Tech Wiki

From a quick search around looks like it could be the clutch pack or the mechatronics unit. I would see if you can find a local VW shop. They also should have the proper VW scan tool to see if there are other codes to give a better idea on what's going on.

My guess, since its fine after restarting it, its probably the mechatronics unit. I don't know a ton about DSG's...this was just based off of a quick google search. Finding a shop who knows these well will be key.

TDIClub might be a good place to check in with, since this is a TDI. They also have a list of mechanics: Trusted TDI Mechanics - By State - TDIClub Forums

·
SC Bug
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the advice. We only have one dealership around here for VW. I hate going in not trusting, but at least I’ve learned a little bit more about this. I appreciate your help.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,265 Posts
Thank you for the advice. We only have one dealership around here for VW. I hate going in not trusting, but at least I’ve learned a little bit more about this. I appreciate your help.
I would post on TDIClub and see if anyone knows of an independent VW shop near you. It will be cheaper and more honest than the dealer. The dealer will probably want to replace the transmission when it may not need it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts