NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ppl,
Does NB soft top version comes equipped with internal movement sensors or we missing out?
I could not trigger alarm by locking mine 2005 2.0L with open windows and leaning in the car (hood down) to set the sensors off neither i could find on/off switch (logical place would be somwhere around interior mirror/clock/latch area). I hate to think that I accidently switched the sensors off by playing with various buttons LOL

Any ideas?

Tony

·
Super Moderator
14,766 Posts
I wonder about this, too. On occasion, I drive the 'vert, and leave the top down. The windows are up, and windblocker is in place, and really, no one can get in, but you never know.

You know what they say, "If someone really wants it bad enough.......". So far, no problems.

If there is no motion sensor, there should be.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Our 2003 Cabrio is fitted with an upgraded alarm system which includes internal sensors... in Oz this alarm was not standard equipment when we bought it - dont know if it is now tho.
We found the only problem with it is when we put it in our garage as our garage panel lift door goes accross the roof of the garage and of course straight above the car. The sensors on the car pick up this moving metal object and will activate the alarm. Also you cant leave anything metal in the cup holders in the console as the internal sensors will pick up temperature change and set off alarm.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
blutopless2 said:
Our 2003 Cabrio is fitted with an upgraded alarm system which includes internal sensors... in Oz this alarm was not standard equipment when we bought it - dont know if it is now tho.

Are those sensors fitted in the rear view mirror or they are somewhere else? Also I am wondering if you know where is that 'magic' on/off button..

Cheers,
T.

·
Registered
125 Posts
we were told by the dealership that the sensors are installed underneath the dash in the piece where the seat heater controls are but above the cup holders - hence the problems of leaving things in the cup holders. The sensors are strong enough to throw a field around the car when the roof is up or down and are more sensitive to metal than people...but objects that pass into the car while the roof is down are meant to set off the alarm. We have not tested this function ourselves but once during a show my wife left the alarm on while the roof was down and someone apparently leant over the door (windows were down too) and put their head inside to look closer at the dash and the alarm went off.

as for a magic on/off button... nothing inside the car but we were told there is a valet mode so the alarm can be turned off but we have never used it... during car shows we usually leave the roof down, doors unlocked but lock the cd stacker, glovebox and the door controls for the boot and fuel release. Most people here are pretty respectful of the cars... they dont go round opening them up and getting in etc...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks blutopless2,
I'll experement tomorrow :) ... I really want it to be there...

T.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tested it eventually today(roof down, windows up, alarm set) and yepee... those sensors do work! Apparentely random internal movement wont set 'em off but if you go anywhere near the radio (front panel in that area) hand movement will be picked up instantly :D

T.

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
dnyed said:
I wonder about this, too. On occasion, I drive the 'vert, and leave the top down. The windows are up, and windblocker is in place, and really, no one can get in, but you never know.

You know what they say, "If someone really wants it bad enough.......". So far, no problems.

If there is no motion sensor, there should be.
The interior motion/intrusion/proximity sensors are standard on European/International models, but they've never been included on North American NB/NBC's, AFAIK, Deb :( Why the difference, I've never known. Seems to me that us 'mericans would want to protect our cars just as much as folks overseas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts