NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

My name is Ted. I live in Colorado, and until very recently didn't know much about VW's. In fact, it wasn't until about 2 weeks ago that i discovered this site.

My dad was just diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. His dying wish was to help me get into a vehicle that has better gas mileage and less mechanical issues than the vehicle i was driving. After some hunting around we found a 2001 1.8t beetle with only 40k miles on it! My dad decided this is the one, and since this is the vehicle he chose, i LOVE it. My kids love it as much as i do... They spent our first ride in it pondering how many motorists have been punched because of us (SLUG BUG!). I knew immediately that this car will be in my family for the rest of my life.

You guys have already been tremendously helpful! I have figured out the quirk with my trunk latch thanks to all of you, and now i know where i can get replacement stickers for my center caps! Thanks!

I have a couple of questions. Does anyone make alternate vw logo badges? I'd love to replace mine with the blue/white logo, especially if they make them in the same shade of blue as my bug!

Has anyone put a dvd player in dash? Recommendations? I want something that lasts.

I'm going to get replacement wheels. Any suggestions on sizes that work well?

And finally... Any suggestions on upkeep? Things to look out for? I want this car to stay tip top forever.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Ted

·
Super Moderator
14,783 Posts
I love your story. I, too, love my New Beetle as a part of my family, my life. I'm no mechanic, but I can offer a bit of advice.

Even though it only has 40k miles, it has a 12 year old timing belt, and water pump. That is the first upkeep I would do.

The VW emblems on our older NBs are the swivel, large emblems, with mechanisms for hatch opening. The best you may be able to do, is to somehow add something behind the large VW. Newer NBs have the non-swivel emblems, and are easier to change out, since they don't have mechanics for opening the hatch.

For the radio, you can pretty much put whatever the heck you want up there. The sky is the limit!

Your 1.8T should have 17" wheels. You have a plethora of choices for replacement. Have fun shopping!

Welcome to the Org! :wave2: We also have a "Collective" over at Facebook. Hope to see you there too! :)

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Sad but great story, I can see why you want to keep your bug forever...I do too and it doesn't even have the strong sentimental value yours does. Thanks for sharing.

My kids love it as much as i do... They spent our first ride in it pondering how many motorists have been punched because of us (SLUG BUG!).
My kids said the exact same thing on their first ride in Iggy and even squealed with delight when they saw a couple of kids in a car next to us punch each other...lol

Does anyone make alternate vw logo badges? I'd love to replace mine with the blue/white logo, especially if they make them in the same shade of blue as my bug!
I'll have to dig it up when I get a chance. I remember finding somebody that sold just colored vinyl inserts that were made to fit inside the black parts of the VW logos. Can't remember if it was here or on e-bay; but I just decided yesterday that I was going to find that site again and order them rather than break out the paint. They came in a rainbow of colors and said that they included 2 sets with each order in case 1 set gets messed up when you are trying to precision place them. Gotta love that :).

And finally... Any suggestions on upkeep? Things to look out for? I want this car to stay tip top forever.
My German mechanic tells me all the time...regular scheduled maintenance...be sure to keep up with it religiously. German cars love to spend time in the shop anyway (and at good expense); but just doing regular maintenance things helps quite a bit. I know it sounds simple, but he's right.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I love your story. I, too, love my New Beetle as a part of my family, my life. I'm no mechanic, but I can offer a bit of advice.

Even though it only has 40k miles, it has a 12 year old timing belt, and water pump. That is the first upkeep I would do.

The VW emblems on our older NBs are the swivel, large emblems, with mechanisms for hatch opening. The best you may be able to do, is to somehow add something behind the large VW. Newer NBs have the non-swivel emblems, and are easier to change out, since they don't have mechanics for opening the hatch.

For the radio, you can pretty much put whatever the heck you want up there. The sky is the limit!

Your 1.8T should have 17" wheels. You have a plethora of choices for replacement. Have fun shopping!

Welcome to the Org! :wave2: We also have a "Collective" over at Facebook. Hope to see you there too! :)
I agree with Dnyed. The timing belt service is the first thing you should do or have done. Low mileage is only one part of the equation. Age is another and if your timing belt service and especially the old plastic impellar water pump hasn't been replaced yet it is way overdue.
New Beetle's are High Maintenance but they are well worth the effort as long as you keep up with what needs to be done.

Is your Beetle an Automatic or 5 Speed. If it is an Automatic be sure to change the Transmission fluid and filter and soon. It will save you a lot of money in future repairs.

Unfortunately the early Turbo Beetle's only came with 16 inch wheels. I have a 2000 1.8 GLX. Top of the line for that year with all the bells and whistles but it only had 16 inch rims.
I still use those in the winter but in the Summer I have 18 inch rims on there with summer only tires. Much improved handeling and looks. I wouldn't go over 18 inch rims. At a certain point style and function just ends up as looking getto.

Good Luck with your Beetle and Welcome to the ORG.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, glad to hear from all of you so quickly!

Mine is a gls, 1.8 turbo and a manual transmission. So far I've been really impressed by the performance, it can GO. I had the water pump replaced before we got it, and thank you all for the advice on the timing belt, I'll be sure to do that next. Is there any other advice? Have any of you made any changes or modifications that were particularly worth it or NOT worth it?

Thanks again everyone!

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Welcome to the best place to learn about the beetle. Hope to see more from you around here!

Great story and you honor your dad well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts