VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The cassette player in my girlfriends beetle doesn't do it for me.. re routing the head unit wires to the glove box, having the radio in the headunit in there and an ipad mini in the dash where the old radio was,, not sure weather to paint it the same colour as the outside of the car or flock it anthracite grey.

so far the car is ripped apart :smack: my girlfriend must hate me driving round with no dash haha

So much work to be done still! i hate sanding, this is what it looks like so far..

i machined the ipad mount at work on a cnc, i tried to make a fiber glass one but it just looked crap.

does look like one big horrendous mess at the minute but i have faith!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
getting there, ran out of paint so had to order some more, wasn't satisfied with the finish.

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Looks good! Is it made; to permanently keep the iPad installed or can you remove it? Also, are the vents; still fully functional? Did you have to modify; the air ducts, to make it work?

Also, a little off topic but is the installation of a later model steering wheel a easy mod? What car is the steering wheel from; did you have to rewire anything, to keep the airbag intact, working correctly (any trouble codes)?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks good! Is it made; to permanently keep the iPad installed or can you remove it? Also, are the vents; still fully functional? Did you have to modify; the air ducts, to make it work?

Also, a little off topic but is the installation of a later model steering wheel a easy mod? What car is the steering wheel from; did you have to rewire anything, to keep the airbag intact, working correctly (any trouble codes)?
Cheers, yes you can take it out, the head unit is in the glove box so you can still have radio ect, all vents still work just had to modify the controls so that they fit the new place of this dash.

The steering wheel is of a vw UP, it looks basically the same as a vw beetle (new new model) but without the steering wheel controls, easy just bolts of and then straight back on, just can't get the airbag light to clear at the minute

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Is the wiring harness; to the airbag connected? I have heard; the New Beetle used a "single stage" airbag system; while, later model VW's used a "dual stage". I wonder; if it is possible, to rewire the system to work? :confused:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is the wiring harness; to the airbag connected? I have heard; the New Beetle used a "single stage" airbag system; while, later model VW's used a "dual stage". I wonder; if it is possible, to rewire the system to work? :confused:
It is sort of connected, i used the harness from the old airbag and adapted it... its not really worked though as the airbag light is still on, so i need to look more into it when i get time.

Hello! Could you tell me which material did you use here to fill the areas you did cut? My dash is broken and I would like to fix it with this, I already used other materials but it broke again :(

Thank you!! And your work is amazing!! :D
Thanks! The stuff i used is just fiberglass paste :) dries rock solid

1 - 14 of 14 Posts