VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - we've got a 2004 1.8t beetle and just recently the battery light has been occasionally coming on and going off - a bit randomly & not all the time - there doesnt seem to be a pattern to it.

I've had the bonnet up and theres a definite irregular squeaking noise coming from the serpentine belt area - I'm thinking that one of the ancillaries on the belt has a bearing thats on it's way out? I'm basing this on the possibility that the belt is slipping occasionally which in turn is causing the altenator to miss a beat. The battery is fine and whilst testing the charge when running, it's been relatively stable, around 14.3-14.7 volts, depending on load

If that seems sensible, is there any simple way to diagnose which ancillary it is? I've got my had down to the altenator and the a/c pump and neither seem to have any play in them.

Which is the most likely failure point. Mileage is 66k.

Cheers all

Mark

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
squeak

Hi all - we've got a 2004 1.8t beetle and just recently the battery light has been occasionally coming on and going off - a bit randomly & not all the time - there doesnt seem to be a pattern to it.

I've had the bonnet up and theres a definite irregular squeaking noise coming from the serpentine belt area - I'm thinking that one of the ancillaries on the belt has a bearing thats on it's way out? I'm basing this on the possibility that the belt is slipping occasionally which in turn is causing the altenator to miss a beat. The battery is fine and whilst testing the charge when running, it's been relatively stable, around 14.3-14.7 volts, depending on load

If that seems sensible, is there any simple way to diagnose which ancillary it is? I've got my had down to the altenator and the a/c pump and neither seem to have any play in them.

Which is the most likely failure point. Mileage is 66k.

Cheers all

Mark
Why SURE. first of all welcome to new beetle.org I would remove the serpintene belt and then turn each pulley individually and see which one is making the squeakie squeak. If not replace the belt itself cause most belts only last 3-4 years and it's best to replace it before 4 years even if it looks still good. If you plan on keeping the car don't forget to replace the Timing belt/water pump kit cause it's coming up at around 85-90k miles. Highly recommanded

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Thanks all - the cambelt was changed at 55k in 2010 so all good on that front. I'll have a go at taking the belt off as you said and thanks for the vid - very useful.

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
Thanks all - the cambelt was changed at 55k in 2010 so all good on that front. I'll have a go at taking the belt off as you said and thanks for the vid - very useful.
I think mine is having an issue with the alternator pulley so I actually had that video pulled up and was watching it right before I read this post, it was pretty convenient lol

Since you're having a random generator light, I'd put money on it being the alternator pulley.

Keep us updated with the outcome.. I've been needing to look at this but it's been raining for the past 3 days.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts