NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello--
I'm agonizing over whether I should purchase a 2008 New Beetle Convertible. There are so many conflicting reports online, I'm not sure what to do and would love some advice. It has 48,000 miles and is Certified Pre-Owned with a limited 2 year/24 month warranty. I loved test driving it!

And it is soooooo beautiful! So my emotions are too involved! I want a "fun" but reliable car for me and my 5 year-old...

Another question: This 2008 is pristine, just beautifully maintained. However, there are two 2-3" "wear" marks, like scratches, on each side of the roof, near the back, from where it folds. They are identical on each side, and there is a little hole near the frame on each side as well, where the top rubs against a bolt on the frame. Other tops I looked at, even for the same year, don't have these wear marks. Should I be concerned? Also, FYI, I live in the Seattle area and I have a garage.

Sorry if this post is too long, I just really would love some advice, thank you...

·
Super Moderator
14,785 Posts
Regarding the wear marks.....perhaps the owner loved "converting" with this car, and had the top up and down a lot, and others that you saw didn't? That's a sad thought.

I say, go get it, you and your daughter/son have fun, and enjoy that 'vert! :party:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Skip if you see holes of any kind on the top. The wear marks are also a sign of trouble - car may be OK but when those wear marks and holes become a problem, it will cost you plenty to replace the top, regardless of the mileage on the car. I have a 2003, live in MD, use my top a lot and have almost 70K on the car and I don't have any abnormal wear on the top.

In terms of reliability, I believe MSN just published its ten worst used cars to buy. According to them, almost everything goes wrong with the NBC. In my case (bought used with 2.8K on the ODO), the car has performed quite well. I have had the window regulators done twice (a very common problem with these), the battery was replaced a few weeks back and just had the timing belt/water pump/etc done due to a failed water pump. The failed water pump seems to be a common problem with my model year. In all, for a car that I drive almost as hard as I drive my Z, I really can't complain.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
I had a convertible when I lived in Seattle and never found it practical, although after your record sunny summer I would consider it.

As said above I would be concerned about the wear on the top. With a hole already it is guaranteed to leak and soak your interior, unless you park in a covered area when you are out and about. You may want to get an estimate on how much the roof replacement will cost and work that into the deal, or just pass on it. Honestly a dealer should not be certifying a used volkswagen under a warranty when the top has holes in it. 2/24 is not a long warranty IMO, especially when you are making payments for 3-5 years (if you are).

I say if you feel uneasy about a car at all don't pull the trigger. Totally my opinion.

Bme

·
Registered
60 Posts
Don't let your emotions choose your car. I did and I regret it. I thought my 16 year old would look so cute in a bright red convertible. Price was right too, although it had a lot of miles for an '07. I live in Seattle too and granted we've had a record dry stretch but a convertible just isn't practical up here for your daily driver. And (the '07 at least) was rated as one of the worse cars to buy, reliability wise, by Consumer Reports. I've heard the transmissions are a problem with these cars as well as the window regulators. My tranny has a slow leak and my windows have just started acting up. I think they make a fun, second car for the summer, provided you get lucky and get one with no problems. My daughter does look cute in it, although she rarely drives with the top down. Our top has some holes rubbed through it but it doesn't appear to leak, but we've only had it since February. As a single mom with a young child, I'd get something a little more practical (and with better MPG). JMHO of course and if you do get it, I think the CPO with the warranty is the way to go. I almost bought a nice '05 cream on cream from Larson and wish I did. Make sure you get two keys, the wind deflector (they work) and make sure the windows go down slightly when you lift the door handle from inside and out on both doors. Good luck.

·
Daisy's Mae's Mom
171 Posts
As a former single mom, I didn't have the money to repair cars at all. These little babies, although fun to ride, are expensive to repair and things go wrong more than I'd like to admit from what I've read on this forum.

So in conclusion...if you have a lot of extra money put aside for repairs for this little jewel, then get it! If not and you're on a budget, wait until you get married to someone who has the extra cash to put into an NBC!

:)

·
Registered
553 Posts
No! if its an automatic the trans rebuild cost is minimum $3500-5500.00 and will need to be done unless the valve body was repladed under warranty already. No room for a child older than 6 in the back seat. Poor mileage for its size and high routine maintenance cost with normal use. They are cute thou

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
No! if its an automatic the trans rebuild cost is minimum $3500-5500.00 and will need to be done unless the valve body was repladed under warranty already. No room for a child older than 6 in the back seat. Poor mileage for its size and high routine maintenance cost with normal use. They are cute thou
Automatic trans valve bodies are a problem, even if the valve body has not been replaced, expect $1000-$1400 unless you can DIY.

As for kids in the back of the car, these cars are actually VERY big. I had my 4-6 year old in the back in a booster seat for a long time. I could flip passenger seat forward and stand in the back of the car bent over in front of the car seat to buckle up the car seat. This was with the top up and I am 5'11". We just had a vacation to the beach and took the convertible. Had my 16 and 14 year old (used to be the one in the car seat) in the car with the wife and all 4 of us were comfortable.

As for mileage, these cars are OK, the manual trans cars are much better for mileage. My 1.8t 6 speed auto gets about 26 MPG when pushing it on the highway around 75 MPH. Engine spins about 3k RPM. If I was to slow down to 55, likely I would get the 28 MPG EPA rating? But speed limits are creeping back up all over the US now and 65-70 MPH limits are quite common. The highest speed limit in the US today is 85 MPH on a Texas Toll road.

I just drove the 10 year old convertible about 1800 miles in a 2 week period without a problem. Smooth, easy and enjoyable drive.

Yes, I have performed a bit of work lately, but for a 10 year old car it still runs quite well.

BTW, I purchased the car new.

·
Registered
14,072 Posts
If reliability; practicality, low cost of repairs and a car that will last a long time, trouble free, are your primary concerns... please, look elsewhere. If you are looking for a dysfunctional torrid love affair; a Volkswagen can and will fit the bill, in spades! Most of us here; that keep these cars for a long time, could qualify for being in a dysfunctional relationship status! LOL! :) Like any dysfunctional relationship; these cars can bring truly high, highs (driving the car on a sunny day, wind blowing through your hair, the thrill of being connected with the road) and truly, low, lows (major failures, such as the engine or transmission failure, being without transport, while the car gets repaired; plus, the smaller common problems along the way); the price of being in it can be costly (emotionally, physically, mentally draining) and expensive (for your pocket book, drain your account)! If you decide to get one; just be prepared for the ride, I would strongly consider a extended warranty for the duration of the time... you see yourself using the car. The fact that it is a convertible; just adds maintenance to the car (another thing that will require maintenance, something that will wear out, a part of the car that is constantly being exposed to the elements/weather, it will deteriorate over time), the top will fail... its not a matter of "if" but a matter of "when"; so, it will need to be replaced at some point in time. Just keep in mind; this could probably be said of any European car these days; those of us that have them, generally have a real passion for them and enjoy the connection we have with these cars but they can really test your sanity; desire, to maintain and keep them on the road. Finding a good independent shop or VW dealer; that you have a good and functional relationship with, is a must and would be crucial part of owning and maintaining your Volkswagen. Like all things in life; you need a support system and you definitely, need one to own a Volkswagen! These cars; require continued, consistent maintenance and that will keep you from getting stranded or hopefully, reduce any mechanical "surprises" you could end up having.

That being said; many of us here on this site, have had major mechanical problems with our Beetles and then, there are those here, who essentially have said they are trouble free. They relate that they just have done the typical maintenance on their Volkswagen; they strongly state, that they have been without major failures and have been enjoying a reliable form of transportation they love and enjoy! :) As the classic saying goes; "you mileage may vary"! If you do buy a New Beetle; whether your personal experience will be one or the other; we don't know! Unfortunately, we cannot predict the future but I would hate to think you would be one, that would end up being stuck with a ongoing "problem" car, that would not even fulfill your need for daily reliable transportation!

Other cars; that would be more reliable for a single mom... a Toyota Camry or Honda Accord comes to mind... very boring but practical, more reliable cars! The emphases would be on functionality and getting you to your daily destinations and what you need to get done... not much of a love affair or romance but get you from a to b and probably more reliable over all, for the life of the car. The primary thing: all of us know single moms, (or in my case, grew up in a single parent household) we all realize how hard life can be; totally independent, of a having to deal with a unreliable car. While I can envision the joy and fun you would/could have with the car; I also, would hate to read about all the potential problems you could have by owning a car, in your particular life situation. You have a choice to make; two automobile relationship options are in front of you. What do you want to have? A torrid love affair or a somewhat boring and reliable, consistent relationship... its up to you! :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'm reading all these posts and I'm baffled. I have a 2007 NBC and the"only" issue I'm presently having is the screeching in the left front side window and I "know" what the issue is and will get taken care of before I put the car away for the winter.

I have 39k on the odometer and I thoroughly enjoy my NBC. I get lots of compliments on it and it's bone stock except that I have the "Enkei" style wheels from the 2004 NBs. I have had no issues with the top.

There was no follow up post on whether or not the lady from Seattle bought the '08 vert...ya know, it's like anything...if you take care of whatever...it will last a good long time.

Regarding the tranny....with my wife's 2005 Passat TDI Wagon, we had to replace the entire transmission at 165k...that was not cheap..$4500! I hot dog my NBC around curves, down/up shifting and yes, it's got the Tiptronic tranny in it...and to this date...no issues.

Discussing the issues with that convertible top...I agree, how can the dealer post that NBC as a certified vehicle with holes in the top...something doesn't quite sound right...of course if there were holes in the top...it would only be right that the dealer replaces the top or knocks ahuge chunk of change off the price.

Anyway, I just wanted to add my two cents to the discussion here.

Jerry

·
Registered
758 Posts
I see someone else already mentioned how expensive it is to replace the top on a convertible, so I won't repeat that.

I would not recommend these for "a single mom" unless you're the type of single mom who doesn't cringe at the thought of changing a timing belt, water pump, belt tensioner, and etc. as part of a car's "routine maintenance". This service is about $200 in parts, but another $800 or so in labor. It's true you don't have to do this often, but it's something you would have to budget for, otherwise a broken timing belt will literally destroy the engine in a VW.

Instead, I'd look at something inexpensive and new (with a 100k mile warranty). A friend of ours bought a Kia Soul for their daughter. It looks to be a practical, inexpensive, car. Their daughter also thinks it's "cute", which is a plus for a teenager.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I forgot what year NBC this lady was asking about, but I can tell you there are no timing belt changes with the 2.5 engine, unlike my wife's Passat TDI.

Sure the NBCs are "cute"...and I do NOT consider it a "gurley" car....I bought the bug because due to knee replacement, getting in and out of the Mazda Miata would have been a chore, besides I liked the style and looks of the NBC...I'm NOT a fond lover to this day though of the darn aircraft carrier sized dash board.... I really like the dash of the 2013 bugs.

Anyway, I agree with Jeff2...she should look into something that is fun, yet reliable and inexpensive to repair...but by all means IF possible, buy NEW...let the manufacturers warranty work for you.

Jerry

1 - 13 of 13 Posts