NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious. The commercials say the prices are so low and it's all name brand stuff but I'm wondering if it's all they say it is. The weekend after we move into the house Vinny and I are going on a "tour" and we're getting a free one month (or something close to that) membership. The guy kept telling Vinny "Prepare to be amazed at the prices!" and when he told me this all I could think was "Oh please! Give me a break!" :rolleyes: Anyone know if he speaks the truth or if he's just being a typical salesman?

·
18,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ooh never mind :eek:

I just did some searching online. Something I should have done before I posted this :rolleyes: and came up with nothing but negative stuff about them. And the membership fee is somewhere around $5,000! :eek:

Forget it. I'm cancelling.

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
Ooh never mind :eek:

I just did some searching online. Something I should have done before I posted this :rolleyes: and came up with nothing but negative stuff about them. And the membership fee is somewhere around $5,000! :eek:

Forget it. I'm cancelling.
Or go in for your free month, and be prepared for the hard sell.

Get what you want for the new place for cheap then laugh in their faces when they want you to commit for a membership.

·
18,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Or go in for your free month, and be prepared for the hard sell.

Get what you want for the new place for cheap then laugh in their faces when they want you to commit for a membership.
Yeah, but I also read that once they tack on their fees and shipping you're only saving maybe 10% and the wait is very long and when the stuff does come in, you're lucky if it's even the right order or that everything that should be included is. Apparently they don't have a showroom, either. You order out of a catalog. If I'm spending a lot of money on something I want to be able to see it in person. Poor quality can be easily hidden in a picture. You also need to know your prices because they jack up the "actual retail price" way above the MSRP to make it look like you're saving way more than you are. I'll save myself the trouble and buy stuff I can see first from places I know I can trust ;)

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
Yeah, but I also read that once they tack on their fees and shipping you're only saving maybe 10% and the wait is very long and when the stuff does come in, you're lucky if it's even the right order or that everything that should be included is. Apparently they don't have a showroom, either. You order out of a catalog. If I'm spending a lot of money on something I want to be able to see it in person. Poor quality can be easily hidden in a picture. You also need to know your prices because they jack up the "actual retail price" way above the MSRP to make it look like you're saving way more than you are. I'll save myself the trouble and buy stuff I can see first from places I know I can trust ;)
I'm 95% certain that my ex-slumlord was a member as i saw all kinds of mail from them in the shared mailbox.

And they dropped a lot of money redoing their main floor (didnt spend a cent on the basement where i lived with mold 1/2 way up the walls) buying new furniture, hardwood floor, appliances...

But i agree i'd stay away from this place like i would stay away from a rotting festering corpse.

Well okay, i might poke it with a stick.... er... go to the free meeting to see what they have to say about the bad rep they have.

Give the salespeople the hardsell back ;)

·
18,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm 95% certain that my ex-slumlord was a member as i saw all kinds of mail from them in the shared mailbox.

And they dropped a lot of money redoing their main floor (didnt spend a cent on the basement where i lived with mold 1/2 way up the walls) buying new furniture, hardwood floor, appliances...

But i agree i'd stay away from this place like i would stay away from a rotting festering corpse.

Well okay, i might poke it with a stick.... er... go to the free meeting to see what they have to say about the bad rep they have.

Give the salespeople the hardsell back ;)
I should, right? :D I may. But it's the weekend after we move in and I have a feeling I'll have more important things to do. Maybe I'll be nice and cancel the appointment instead of just not going and I'll mess with them. I read a few women mentioned they would not talk to them unless their husband was with them and when they asked if they could bring in their child's stroller they were told "You should get a babysitter like everyone else" and they did tell Vinny there were no children allowed in the building :rolleyes:. Maybe I'll tell them Vinny can't make it and that I'm bringing my 5 kids with me or I'm not coming at all! :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
You should dig up some obscure law and admonish them for not allowing you to bring your child.

"Unless the place is licensed to serve alcohol i have a right to bring my child"

·
18,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You should dig up some obscure law and admonish them for not allowing you to bring your child.

"Unless the place is licensed to serve alcohol i have a right to bring my child"
:ha:

I'm on that!! :roflmao:

·
Not low enough
947 Posts
i always wonder about this. the stuff looks super tacky in the commercials though, or maybe i just have simple taste. i'm not into the marble and mahogany look.

what sort of stuff are you looking for? like cabinets and flooring or more like furniture?

·
18,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i always wonder about this. the stuff looks super tacky in the commercials though, or maybe i just have simple taste. i'm not into the marble and mahogany look.

what sort of stuff are you looking for? like cabinets and flooring or more like furniture?
Just basically stuff like outdoor furniture, washer and dryer...some furniture and some appliances. I thought it was going to be like a Costco or Sam's club type deal, you know? Like 50 bucks for a one year membership. But 6500 for two years! That sure is a damn bargain! :rolleyes:

·
Not low enough
947 Posts
yeah forget that! it MIGHT be worth it for a $100k whole house makeover, but you're better off with sears and home depot and stuff for the few things you need.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Besides, if you put it on a Home Depot account you get 1 year no interest (I leave out the no payments bit, bad habit to get into ;)) even if they are not running the promo. How? Call after you get your first statement, tell the customer service agent the store promised you 12 months instead of 6. Escalate if need be (politely), presto. :D

·
Don't Drink the Kool Aid
307 Posts
I think Direct Buy only works for those who spend LOTS of money. If you watch the ads they say things like "we saved $35,000 on our kitchen"

LIke others have said, check out Home Depot and Lowes for appliances, (both have sales going on all the time)
and somewhere like Rooms to Go for furniture.
All of these places offer interest free financing (but you better pay it off by the grace period or they will really hit you with finance charges)
And if you are in Metro area they usually will even deliver for free.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts