NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how its going guys/gals? got a few questions for ya! okay, i have a 99 2.0 nb and im plannin to do some minor upgrades, i know you cant do much to the 2.0l, but im not really lookin for a speed demon..im plannin on chippin and puttin intake and cat back on...so the question is, would it be a good idea to get a bigger down pipe along with a high flow cat...basically replace the entire exhaust for the engine out...keep in mind im a newbie...i read somewhere that doing all of that would decrease the back pressure which be a bad thing...is that so?:confused: and also, SMG (cyber green > you) suggested that i get a Neuspeed camshaft, which is a good idea to me, i just wondering b4 i go askin mechanics questions, by putting in the camshaft, would i have to adjust everything else?

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
I don't hear of many people putting on a header on their 2.0's, I'm not sure if it's because of space constraints or what. Maybe it's well designed to begin with. A NA needs much more backpressure than a forced induction car; yeah I don't think I'd mess with it unless you're swapping for some other proven header part.

You'd be better off spending that $500 on getting the intake manifold match ported and and polished (on the inside). Same for the throttle body and head.

Make it EASY to pull air through the motor, cause vacuum's all ya got to get it in there. I'd do those things before getting a new cam. I don't think they'll make a HUGE difference; but it will get better w/each step... and if you put in the cam gear (which would be a pretty big step); then it'll perform much better than just slapping in the cam gear. I don't think you'd have to replace anything else w/a mild aftermarket cam; maybe if you got something very aggressive you'd have to update the springs and stuff in the head; but I think you'd probably be fine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts