VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2002 VW New Beetle, 2.0L Automatic
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RE: 2002 NB 2.0 Auto, 108,500 miles

Hi all. I've posted about a starting issue with my Beetle once before, but after a bit more research/time, I think the issue might be with the immobilizer.

The issue: Intermittently, I start the car and the engine almost immediately shuts off. It doesn't sound weird or anything; it really just sounds like the engine is being shut off. Upon the second try, the car starts up fine. This has happened with two different keys. I've tried to isolate the issue to determine the common conditions under which this happens, but it honestly just seems random. Example: I started it up at least 20 times over the last week, engine hot and cold, no problems. Today, the issue happened again on a cold start.

Only once, there was the blinking immobilizer light after the engine shut off. Otherwise it's usually just the red battery light/parking brake/etc. lights that's on the dash after it shuts off. I took the car to a mechanic last week and they did find an immobilizer code, which they "reset" (under if that means they just cleared the code or what), but the issue is still happening.

My question is, is it possible for the immobilizer to only have issues sometimes? I'm inclined to believe this issue is due to the immobilizer, but the randomness/intermittentness and the fact that it starts fine on the second try just seems weird. I haven't been able to duplicate the issue at a mechanic shop, so any insight is really helpful, thanks!

·
Registered
14,582 Posts
It would be best, to be able to scan the car with a VW factory level scan tool, like vcds by ross tech, obdeleven or equivalent. Immo, issues, will typically throw a, " ignition blocked by immobilizer", type code. There can be many reasons, the immo is randomly kicking on; any part of the immo system, can intermittently fail and cause a no start issue (I had a bad speedo cluster that caused this).

Check out this link; for more info and learn how the immo system works:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts