VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
6 Is Better Than 5 ;)
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my TS to get the TB/WP replaced yesterday.
They didn't have enough time so said it would be done today.
Went back today as they were finishing it up. Well, they started her up while I was there and the engine started sputtering, clanging and pinging.
At idle the noise and shaking was the most apparent.
There was definately a metalic clanging sound, like if you took a quarter and tapped it on a metal pipe.
When they stepped on the gas, the engine sounded fine :confused:

I was told that the timing was off a notch and that they would have to reinstall it. Well, the mech felt faint and dizzy after removing th pass tire so all work stopped on my car today.

So, my question is, could the belt being off a notch cause the above described noises/conditions? Could they have killed my engine????

This whole situation has made me sick to my stomach.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Took my TS to get the TB/WP replaced yesterday.
They didn't have enough time so said it would be done today.
Went back today as they were finishing it up. Well, they started her up while I was there and the engine started sputtering, clanging and pinging.
At idle the noise and shaking was the most apparent.
There was definately a metalic clanging sound, like if you took a quarter and tapped it on a metal pipe.
When they stepped on the gas, the engine sounded fine :confused:

I was told that the timing was off a notch and that they would have to reinstall it. Well, the mech felt faint and dizzy after removing th pass tire so all work stopped on my car today.

So, my question is, could the belt being off a notch cause the above described noises/conditions? Could they have killed my engine????

This whole situation has made me sick to my stomach.
In short it could be off slightly and not cause damage, but it could cause a lot of damage as well. Give him a chance to get it right. Have the tech ride along on a test drive before paying and taking vehicle to make you feel better and protect yourself.

·
Registered
553 Posts
:hurl:

I've been reading on here about timing belts being off a notch but none of them made mention of metallic noises being heard. :confused:
I know nothing about youre mechanical ability so when you tell me mechanical noise I am not sure if you mean spark knock which sounds mechanical or valves meeting pistons (really bad) the fact that you say it clears up when accelerated sounds like spark knock. if this is the case he can adjust timing and be okay. For your protection I would suggest a test drive with teh tech AFTER he says it is fixed BEFORE you pay for it. If the timing belt is off too far valves can hit pistons and bend valves or put holes in pistons. (real bad thing)

·
6 Is Better Than 5 ;)
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know nothing about youre mechanical ability so when you tell me mechanical noise I am not sure if you mean spark knock which sounds mechanical or valves meeting pistons (really bad)
I mean a noise like I stated in my orig post:
I will definately ride with the mech when he says it done and won't pay until then.

·
Jace
67 Posts
sound like he bent all of your valves. That is the same thing that happened to mine back in 08. that is why I will never let somebody touch my car unless they know exactly what they are doing. good luck hopefully it is nothing..

·
6 Is Better Than 5 ;)
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sound like he bent all of your valves. That is the same thing that happened to mine back in 08. that is why I will never let somebody touch my car unless they know exactly what they are doing. good luck hopefully it is nothing..
That sucks.

I would've done my own belt if I had an indoor work shop.

I just got back from the mechanic. I seen my car outside and not in the bay so I figured they fixed it...Nope.

The guy that was working on my car is out w/ an inner ear infection. The other mechanic told me they would fix it Monday and that they would lock her in the garage over the weekend.

Before I left, I asked him how the valves were, he got this disturbed expression on his face and said they didn't know yet. He then said whatever they find, they will fix and that I didn't need to worry, that they would take care of it.

WTF :cuss:

Well, I'm glad they are gonna fix it since THEY effed it up.

The motor only has 44k on it and now I'm wondering if the head is toast, are they just gonna replace it with a used high mileage head and call it good?

A 4hr TB/WP job has turned into a 5day+ **** show :banghead::banghead::banghead:

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
Stay on top of those mechanics; they can perform a leak down test and that will tell them if any valves are bent. Ask them if they have done one, if not, insist they do.

·
6 Is Better Than 5 ;)
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Stay on top of those mechanics; they can perform a leak down test and that will tell them if any valves are bent. Ask them if they have done one, if not, insist they do.
Ok, thanks. I was going to have them do a compression test before I accepted the car, but after reading your post and THIS, I will definately have them do the leak down test instead.

Apparently, from what I've read, you can have bent valves and it's possible the engine won't make any strange noises to indicate a problem, which is why I was wanting a compression test done prior to accepting it.

I trust that the mechanics will take care of the issue, but I dislike their lack of communication about the issue and that worries me.

If they would have called me this morning and told me that they weren't going to work on my car till Monday, I would have been fine w/ that. But the fact that I drove by there, only to see my car kicked out of the bay just so they could work on other cars pisses me off. Especially when they havn't even tried to figure out whats going on with my car.:mad:

·
6 Is Better Than 5 ;)
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have you dealt with these guys before?
Yes. They did the TB/WP change out on Moe, my 2.0, and there were no issues.

I've also had them do smaller jobs w/ no issues either.

The shop is owned and ran by 2 brothers. Really great guys. They get LOTS of business because they are personable, fair priced and do an outstanding job.

-And that is why I'm so confused about this situation. :confused:

·
Registered
148 Posts
PalmettoGuy - You know with your issue that you had, I would have sworn that you were in the great state of South Carolina! My husband and I can't find a good mechanic to save out lives - we have a Land Rover that we can't seem to get any one to order the parts for so we sucked it up and went to Land Rover - it was a $30 thermostat that was $562!!! Welcome to the land of imports and rippin' of the yankee! sorry to hear about your car - I hope they make right by it!

·
6 Is Better Than 5 ;)
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
PalmettoGuy - You know with your issue that you had, I would have sworn that you were in the great state of South Carolina!!
LOL..I am actually from the great state of SC ;)

So, it turned out it was a "boost" hose that was disconnected.
He found the issue and had my car up and running by the end of that Monday. :D

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
Ok, thanks. I was going to have them do a compression test before I accepted the car, but after reading your post and THIS, I will definately have them do the leak down test instead.

Apparently, from what I've read, you can have bent valves and it's possible the engine won't make any strange noises to indicate a problem, which is why I was wanting a compression test done prior to accepting it...
Nice link regarding the comparison of the two tests.

LOL..I am actually from the great state of SC ;)

So, it turned out it was a "boost" hose that was disconnected.
He found the issue and had my car up and running by the end of that Monday. :D
Glad to hear that it all worked out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts