NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Addicted To Chaos TS
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had the power window regulator go out on the driver's side of my '04 TS. Window is stuck about 1/2 way down. What all is involved with replacing it and would I be better off purchasing a repair kit and taking it to a shop to have them do the work? Any idea how much $$$ that might run? Thanks for any input on this. : D

·
Registered
11,574 Posts
I think, it IS worth doing yourself; if you are willing to put the work in. As for repair costs; I don't know, what the flat rate book hours are for this repair. This is one of the most common repairs; that are done on this site and on the new beetle/mark iv Volkswagens in general. If you are willing to diy; get the genuine vw repair kit and follow, the diy on this site and that is the best, most cost effective and longest lasting solution available (aside from replacing the whole regulator assembly; which is much more expensive and typically not needed).

·
Addicted To Chaos TS
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much for that, billymade. I have no problem with the DIY. Just wanted to know how difficult it might be & maybe time-consuming vs or just have my shop guys do it for me. I'll read through the DIY and thank you for providing it. :giggle: TTYS.

·
Imbugd - 99 1.8t
103 Posts
Thanks very much for that, billymade. I have no problem with the DIY. Just wanted to know how difficult it might be & maybe time-consuming vs or just have my shop guys do it for me. I'll read through the DIY and thank you for providing it. :giggle: TTYS.
I've taken apart my doors on different beetles many times over the years. Often with the help of guides from here on the org. (thanks guys).

If your reasonably handy I would also agree this is a job that is fine to do on your own. It doesnt really take anything for specialty tools, isn't physically difficult, and no heavy lifting. Once you get that stupidly designed door lock mechanism out of the way, you're golden. That just takes some patience, and lacking that it takes an extra nut and bolt to stitch it back together if it breaks. (Dont ask me how I know.) On the plus side, if you do just break it off, it makes future maintenance really easy.

I would save shop dollars for jobs that take multihundred $ specialty tools and heavy lifting. IMO of course.

Good luck.

·
Addicted To Chaos TS
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've taken apart my doors on different beetles many times over the years. Often with the help of guides from here on the org. (thanks guys).

If your reasonably handy I would also agree this is a job that is fine to do on your own. It doesnt really take anything for specialty tools, isn't physically difficult, and no heavy lifting. Once you get that stupidly designed door lock mechanism out of the way, you're golden. That just takes some patience, and lacking that it takes an extra nut and bolt to stitch it back together if it breaks. (Dont ask me how I know.) On the plus side, if you do just break it off, it makes future maintenance really easy.

I would save shop dollars for jobs that take multihundred $ specialty tools and heavy lifting. IMO of course.

Good luck.
Hey mystix thanks for chiming in on that (and billymade, this is for you too.) I'd purchased a window regulator "kit" on ebay that was specific for my '04 TS hardtop driver's side door ie; should've been "right" and, since I didn't have time to DIY it, took it to my shop w/all the new silicone hoses/kits (turbo hoses, vacuum hoses, etc.) & new Forge silicone turbo inlet intake pipe and just have them do it all. Well, turns out, as they'd already said, would be a big deal to install(?) and as well, the "kit" on ebay I bought was basically only partially what they needed. They'd order & install the correct full and complete parts, which they did & I'll get my money back from the ebay Seller. So, it's been taken care of & the window is fixed. BEWARE purchasing items on ebay (or anywhere else for that matter) unless you know exactly what it looks like, which I did not, don't trust that you're going to get all that you need to DIY it or to have it done by a shop. You may be mistaken, as I was, but I decided to leave it to the pros & it's all good now but I DID learn my lesson, as far as that goes. Thanks, you two, for your help & input. Nuff said...;) (y)

·
Registered
11,574 Posts
Yeah, there can be wisdom in; "picking and choosing your battles", in this case, deciding what to diy and what to leave to others. As always, get oem replacement parts; in the case of the window regulators, genuine VW parts, is the way to go and the repair kit, is the most reliable and cost effective, long term solution.

Oem parts are the way to go and sometimes; genuine VW parts are the best parts available or the only source for some parts, new. As you have experienced; you end up actually saving money in the long run, getting quality oem or genuine vw parts; as they fit, function properly and last longer then the cheaper reproduction parts. Thats not to say, you should buy genuine vw parts for everything; as you can typically, get the same parts from the oem and save money that way, these are normally maintenance, repair parts, etc.

Here is a good page; discussing the difference in parts suppliers:

It sounds like you are making progress and getting your Turbo S, into reliable daily driver status! That is good to hear! :)

Tell us more: about the difference, the install of the Forge silicone turbo inlet intake pipe made! I have been considering this upgrade for awhile and it would be good to hear, if you think it makes a difference!

If you end up needing more parts or upgrades; feel free to ask, what people have found out that works. Thanks!

·
Addicted To Chaos TS
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, there can be wisdom in; "picking and choosing your battles", in this case, deciding what to diy and what to leave to others. As always, get oem replacement parts; in the case of the window regulators, genuine VW parts, is the way to go and the repair kit, is the most reliable and cost effective, long term solution.

Oem parts are the way to go and sometimes; genuine VW parts are the best parts available or the only source for some parts, new. As you have experienced; you end up actually saving money in the long run, getting quality oem or genuine vw parts; as they fit, function properly and last longer then the cheaper reproduction parts. Thats not to say, you should buy genuine vw parts for everything; as you can typically, get the same parts from the oem and save money that way, these are normally maintenance, repair parts, etc.

Here is a good page; discussing the difference in parts suppliers:

It sounds like you are making progress and getting your Turbo S, into reliable daily driver status! That is good to hear! :)

Tell us more: about the difference, the install of the Forge silicone turbo inlet intake pipe made! I have been considering this upgrade for awhile and it would be good to hear, if you think it makes a difference!

If you end up needing more parts or upgrades; feel free to ask, what people have found out that works. Thanks!
Hey billymade,

As for my silicone hoses adventure, check the "need silicone hoses" thread. I replied to you about them there. TTYS. ;)

·
Imbugd - 99 1.8t
103 Posts
hmm.. I feel that link is a bit one sided, and misleading for that reason.

Yes OE parts are probably, but not always good. They use a LARGE variety of companies for making 'genuine' parts. You can buy a Meyle or other suppliers part and still come out with a non-fitting part or a bad individual unit. I've had both experiences. And good luck winding through the maze of german'ish names to discover which companies are actually OEM. There are entire flow charts of that stuff and some of those companies change hands, sell the name, and you're stuck again.

Of course they are miles better than you're generic Ebay chinesium part that is 'mysteriously' 1/2 to 1/10 the price. Some things with tight tolerances make sense, others with high markups don't. Within that you can go 'model shopping' as well, with many cross components from Audies, Volvo's, or other models of VW being the same or better for less cost. Of course with this last bit you really have to know what you're looking for.

Back on the aftermarket stuff though.. there used to be SAMCO hoses available as an example. They made hoses that were miles better than the oem 'genuine' variety. They were some of the first high end silicone hose sets available for Beetles. Super high quality and have already outlasted lots of other parts in my engine bays. There are aftermarket guys like APR that have long supported our engines, make and sell some aftermarket parts and tools. Then theres the universally loved vagcom from Rosstech. An aftermarket device that means we don't have to bay 10s of thousands for the VW tool, if it were even available.

Some of our cars are getting pretty old now.. so a lot of the old suppliers may not be around anymore. But I don't think theres ever really been any magic bullet ordering solution that means you always get a quality part at a decent price. It takes experience, reading through years of content on forums like this, and sometimes just experimenting on our own.

Maybe a balance between reputation, manufacturing complexity, and price?.? I mean a turbo is a hard thing to make and should be expensive no matter who it comes from. A tiny company offering custom oil is going to be suspect because petro products take significant resources to create. A tube, a wire, standard connector, or a machined part? Those have potential to be the same or even better from the aftermarket at a reasonable price.

Don't hate me Billymade! :p Thats just my $.02 on the matter. ..and thought I would throw out a different point of view.

·
Addicted To Chaos TS
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey mystix,
Thanks for your opinion on that and I'd really have to agree with you. After purchasing a 5-piece SAMCO TURBO HOSE KIT in Yellow back in Aug., and it costing $243.00, it's finally supposed to be here by 10/31. Samco in AUS. had to custom make them for my '04 TS as they just don't keep them in stock. I recently purchased 5 other hose kits (plus a window regulator kit) for my exact engine code, etc. and only 2 of them fit! Luckily, all the Sellers were great about refunding me totally for the returns. Unfortunately, though, SAMCO won't refund me on these coming hoses as they were specially made so I REALLY hope my shop can install them with no problems. I'm going to severely hate having wasted that money if they won't fit for some reason. I'll keep ya'll posted on how things turn out with the install...:confused:

·
Registered
11,574 Posts
It definitely is hard to find quality parts these days; I emphasize quality oem parts, as so many come on this site and buy Chinese, local auto parts stores, aftermarket replacement parts. Then, they have problems; as these parts, can (many times), fail out of the box or they cannot perform as they should. Then, this complicates; our attempt, to help people diagnose things and this reinforces, the idea, that VW's are failure prone and unreliable cars. My recommendations, are based upon; trying to "aim high" with a emphases on quality sourced parts and get people, to start with a basic standard of good parts to begin with and that would hopefully, increase their success in fixing their car, have the parts work as they should and ultimately, have a car they can rely on, as a daily driver. These old VW's, require constant attention, as it is and installing cheap, poor quality, failure prone parts, is just setting yourself up for failure, brain damage, aggravation.

The long term owners among us; have typically, "learned the hard way", as to what brands, sources and types of parts, are good and those one can possibly, choose a lesser quality brand or aftermarket part, to use. As noted, a aftermarket part; can be a performance part or improved part, that directly addresses, a common pattern failure, in the original design and many of these, can be a real improvement, in the life of your car.

We are on the same page; much of this is directed, at the newer owners, who are picking up sub $1k "fixer uppers" and throwing cheap Chinese aftermarket parts on their cars, then wondering why they don't run right, the parts fail soon after installation or they can't fix the original problem, the new part, was attempting to address. Junk parts, are junk parts; it doesn't matter, if they have a "lifetime warranty" on them (e.g. Autozone), you can end up, endlessly replacing them and not really getting anywhere. The hope, is to; "fix it once; fix it right" and avoid the trap of fulfilling the definition of insanity... "doing the same things; over, over, gain and expecting different results". I think we have all been there; rolling the dice with a cheap part and hoping it will work, last, replace the last failure prone part. I have sometimes, been ok and the lesser priced part worked for awhile but other times, it was a big waste of time, effort and money, in the long run. In some cases, it is actually better; to get a good used genuine vw part, then a cheap aftermarket part and be stuck in a endless cycle of pattern and failure mode hell. As I get older, hopefully wiser; I find buying the better oem or in some cases; a genuine vw part, will result in a higher degrees of repair success and I spend less time, having to do "redo" repair processes, parts changes and I have more time to enjoy life. We all have to decide; what the best is for each of us and the time, resources, knowledge, ability, we have at the time of the needed repairs. All of us, should aim to do our repairs; at the best level, use highest quality parts and reap the benefits, of doing things to the best of our ability. We all want each other; to succeed in our repairs and avoid, the common problems, pitfalls, we all have experienced, at one time or another.

Parts, that seem to be particularly notorious, experienced on this site; as aftermarket failure prone culprits, are: coil packs, fuel pumps (Airtex), fuel pump relays (stick with oem Stribel), window regulators, cv axles, sensors (coolant temp, mafs, etc), suspension parts, "rebuilt" components (Cardone), various "fix it", parts from Dorman, can be helpful or hit/miss on quality, among, many, many more.

Another issue, is of course; using the "shotgun" or "parts cannon"; in lieu, of proper testing procedures and "guessing", a "new part", will "solve" a drivability problem, someone is having. Needless, to say; a pile new parts, doesn't always fix the problem a car is having and just waste a bunch of time, money and effort.

Examples, of this; are scattered throughout this site, some have literally replaced every part of their fuel system, ignition sytem, many sensors, etc. and still can't "figure it out".

The primary things, that I see; as needing "oem" parts, are various sensors, fuel system components (fuel pumps, in particular), ignition system service parts and many other things, that are crucial to the cars operating correctly and provide a safe trouble free operation of the car.

One thing, that has worked pretty well for me; is looking at the old part, then finding the oem manufacturers mark on it and trying to find it, made by them, if they still do and this will typically, save me a substantial amount of money, over the VW dealer part (which typically is the exact same part with the vw/audi logo ground off).

Globalization, has made things even harder; back in the VW "aircooled days", buying a German made parts, would typically provide you with a quality part you could be confident in, be at a quality level that was above the lesser parts commonly available. This is not always the case anymore; the traditional German brands, are making parts all over the world and even in places like China.

Many of the original parts on my 2002 New Beetle Turbo S; were made in Germany but the genuine vw replacement parts, are made all over the world. When I rebuilt my 02M tranmission; my original bearings were German and then, the VW dealer sourced replacements, were from everywhere, including India, of all places!

As noted, hopefully; we can all share with each other, what parts fail, which are available in good quality, in which brands and where we can source, the best quality parts, as the best prices and ultimately, keep our old VW's on the road! At the end of the day, we all want to fix our cars and keep them, in the best reliable condition and avoid, as much as possible, being stranded somewhere on the side of the road. At that point, it can require a tow, back to the repair shop, to our home to fix it ourself or (hopefully), not end up in a junk yard, to be stripped for parts. The "cheap" part, that you saved some money on initially; can actually cost you much more money in the long run. The best quality parts, will hopefully; keep you running down the road longer and make these VW's, as trouble free as possible (they can be a real challenge to keep running; as it is!)!

No arguments here, in my view: we are all on the same page and the "collective" knowledge, gained and shared on this site, contributes to the primary goal, of keeping our Volkswagens operational and a fun daily driver, we have all come to love and enjoy! :)

·
Imbugd - 99 1.8t
103 Posts
I suppose having a Turbo S plays into it as well. When I got my 1.8t in 99 it was the first year of beetles with that engine. The rarity played havoc with ordering parts for a long time. Even from the dealership. Several times I had returns to the dealer just because they didn't take the extra moment to make the extra selection in the software. :/ Of course that got better over time.. and then worse when other turbo engines came out.

Turbo S at least here in the u.s. was super rare. So now we have a rare model of a rare engine of a relatively low number car. So part confusion is going to sneak in there at every opportunity I imagine. Well worth it for that motor setup though.. Im a bit jealous! Don't let my beetle know I said that though. :p

This place and all the experienced owners posting are truly a gold mine when it comes to knowing exactly what, where, why, and how Ive found. So, interested in hearing about your luck.

(oh and well said Billymade!)

·
Addicted To Chaos TS
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I suppose having a Turbo S plays into it as well. When I got my 1.8t in 99 it was the first year of beetles with that engine. The rarity played havoc with ordering parts for a long time. Even from the dealership. Several times I had returns to the dealer just because they didn't take the extra moment to make the extra selection in the software. :/ Of course that got better over time.. and then worse when other turbo engines came out.

Turbo S at least here in the u.s. was super rare. So now we have a rare model of a rare engine of a relatively low number car. So part confusion is going to sneak in there at every opportunity I imagine. Well worth it for that motor setup though.. Im a bit jealous! Don't let my beetle know I said that though. :p

This place and all the experienced owners posting are truly a gold mine when it comes to knowing exactly what, where, why, and how Ive found. So, interested in hearing about your luck.

(oh and well said Billymade!)
Well said, both billymade and mystix! This place and it's knowledgeable Members are definitely a Gold Mine for Beetle owners, both old and new, especially us with a Turbo S. It's a trial and error on some of these things like hoses and all, that's for sure, but live and learn I guess. I always check here first before I look to do anything I'm not already pretty sure of. Thanks again guys for all the help! ;) (y)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts